Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG?
- - By johnrhone Date 04-30-2003 04:40
I would like to get back to making welded sculptures which I have left behind while practicing architecture. Many years ago I was a very good gas welder (could quality gas-weld thin aluminum). I was never very proficient at stick welding.

Primarly (to begin with) I want to weld something like 3/32" - 1/8" steel with a penetrating weld that can be ground flush.

I understand tig welding is somewhat like gas welding in that you can pool and deep weld.

Have been looking at the Lincoln 175 and 275 and the Miller180SD and 250DX.

The Miller tech rep recommends the 250 as a lot more control.

Will I have trouble self-teaching myself tig?

Any book recommendations?

Classes are not an option for me.

Any comments and advice and recommendations would be very much welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

John Rhone
Parent - - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 05-01-2003 00:27
John,

If you are/were a proficient gas welder, you will be a TIG MASTER. Don't worry overmuch. Get the Welder's Handbook -- it has a good section on TIG. You want to do aluminum, too, or just DC? High frequency start is highly recommended. I have a Lincoln Invertec which is a very nice machine but pricey. You will be amazed at how good you are at TIG within an hour of picking it up.

Chris
Parent - - By johnrhone Date 05-01-2003 06:25
chris
will check out the invertec. also any advice on plasma cutters?
you've given me a degree of confidence to move ahead.
i can use all the advice i can get.
many thanks.
john
Parent - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 05-02-2003 00:16

You are not the first one to ask about plasma cutters on this site -- but I haven't seen any responses. I don't have one so I can't help you here (my wife is still recovering from the Invertec 205T purchase). I really like this Lincoln but if you don't need a portable unit then you can save a lot of money by going with a transformer setup. The Invertec goes for like $2.5k by the time you add stuff like a foot pedal.

You will really like whatever you get!
Chris
Parent - By kb (*) Date 05-02-2003 00:31
I have a Lincoln Precision Tig 275 RTW unit (undercarriage and water cooler) with the optional advanced control panel and I absolutely love it. Best decision I ever made. BTW, I would also suggest a brazing setup that includes a Gasflux unit. Check it out at www.gasflux.com

Kevin
KB Fabrications
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 05-02-2003 06:02
personally, I think TIG welding is easier than gas welding because you can vary the amount of heat going in very precisely. If you're not going to be doing a lot of welding for production or in a shop setting, you don't really need all the bells and whistles. Sometimes a lot of knobs and buttons can confuse and frustrate you more than help you. I'm building some stainless steel handrails w/ a TIG using 50 amps and so far I've been getting excellent results just from using a foot pedal. I haven't even tried any of the extra goodies on it.

yes, the higher end TIG welders will have more control, but usually they don't tell you that you need to play around w/ the settings for a few hours before you get it set up just right. And since you're going to teach yourself how to TIG, you might as well keep it simple. One thing I would definitely look for in a TIG machine is AC current capability and high frequency capability. that way you can weld aluminum or steel if you so choose. if you want to weld 1/4" aluminum you'll need a 250 amp machine. 1/8" aluminum can be welded w/ a 180 amp machine. I use aluminum as a reference because it takes more amps to weld it than steel of the same thickness.
Parent - By johnrhone Date 05-03-2003 04:20
thanks again everyone. this IS a wonderful site. i will do a little more looking and then be back with more questions i'm sure. i appreciate the help.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG?