Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Technical Seminar in Denver
- - By James Corbin (**) Date 03-04-2009 18:41
When: Thursday March 12th at 6:00 PM
Where: At Colorado School of Mines Brown Hall, 1600 Illinois St., Room 260, Golden Colorado 80401
How Much: Pizza $10 Members & Guests $5 students - Become an AWS member for $80 ($15 student) and your dinner is included!
Topic: Special Inspection Seminar Structural Steel
Presenter: William "Bill" Komlos, Arc Tech, LLC - AWS District 20 Director
This is a technical seminar. We'll tackle tough questions.
Seminar Topics:
1) IBC, Section 1704 - Approved or Unapproved
2) AISC Steel Construction Manual, Code of Standard Practice
3) Compliance and the "Junk" Job
4) Getting to Know Your Building Official
5) The Special Inspector - Structural Steel Welding
6) AWS D1.1, Structural Welding Code, Steel 
7) The Why's of Continuous Inspection - The When's of Periodic Inspection
8) Notification Responsibilities
9) Reporting Responsibilities and the Certificate of Compliance

This 2-hour class meets the requirements for professional development hours (PDH) of AWS QC-1, Section 16.5.2 and the annual quality training requirements mandated by AISC.
PDH certificates will be provided to all seminar participants. Contact John Steele at 303-273-3663 or email secretary@awscolorado.org
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-04-2009 18:48
Sounds interesting, too bad its not in Kansas City, especially now that I'm looking into the ICC. 
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 03-04-2009 19:03
Yeah, do that in the Boston, Providence area and I'll go also.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-04-2009 19:54
What might be a cool thing for the AWS to do is have a webpage added to the sight here were videos of these types of presentations could be viewed.
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 03-05-2009 02:55
The Colorado Section is trying to offer more options for PD hours. If affordable I think CWIs would go not only to avoid taking the 9 year test but to get a refresher on techniques not used often. I hope it catches on with other AWS sections and with the ASNT, although the filming it is not a bad idea. 

Does anyone have ideas for future lecture subjects?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-05-2009 14:46
Does anyone have ideas for future lecture subjects?

Yes. I have found that there is a large number of cwi's who have issues with the annexes. I think a lecture covering all annexes for cwi's would make an excellent refresher.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Technical Seminar in Denver