Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Need help with WPS/PQR
- - By insp76 (**) Date 05-02-2003 19:56
Soon my welders will be making some dissimilar welds, the two metals to be joined are sa297 and sa351,what wps/pqr will I need.These are furnace tubes,gtaw b/w rod of choice should be er nicromo-1. I am having a little trouble with the p# for the sa297 the UNS# I was given for the sa297 is 8064,if that will help. Thanks alot.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-02-2003 20:26
SA351 covers cast stainless steels anywhere from plain vanilla austenitic stainless, to superaustenitic to duplex, and can be classified as P#8, P#10H, & P#45.

ASTM A297 deals with heat resitant Fe/Cr and Fe/Cr/Ni alloys, but as far as I can find, it doesn't have the status of an ASME specification, so this material might just be unclassified in Section IX. There are also quite a few grades in that specification.

Also, UNS numbers always start with a letter followed by 5 numbers, but the A297 I have does not list USN Numbers anyway, so that wouldn't help me much.

However, if you are going to qualify to ASME IX, you need to have a procedure with the same P# as the SA351 alloy welded to the unclassified A297 alloy for starters. I wouldn't think impact variables would apply since you are working on furnace materials. If you are working to a construction code (like ASME section VIII), you also need to address that to see if there are any other variables you need to use during your qualification, such as PWHT, thickness limitations, etc.
Parent - By insp76 (**) Date 05-02-2003 23:31
Thanks for the reply GRoberts, sorry I forgot to mention we are working to sec. IX ,owners specs and b31.3. I think part of the problem is that I was given the wrong UNS#, when I get the correct UNS# maybe it will match up to a material that has a P# or S# and per sec. IX, my SA297 can assume that P# ,then maybe if I`m lucky my company will have a procedure already I can use.I also need to get the correct UNS# for the sa 351 to see if it is in the P1-P11 group or the P41-P47 group. Monday I`ll try to find the manufacturer of the materials and hopefully get the correct UNS#`s. I have a feeling I`m going to have to run a costly proceadure test on that material.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Need help with WPS/PQR