Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Houston we have a problem
- - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-06-2009 19:12
[deleted]
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-06-2009 19:20
"A day at NASA:
Astrophysicist:  "Well guys let's design a satellite that will detect methane on Planet X in the Andromeda galaxy.  That way we can see if aliens fart like humans."
The Boss:  "That sounds like a good idea.  I will get the $500 million to do it and we can take the rest of our careers theorizing, designing, building, launching then monitoring the project"

Who in the F else gets to do that kind of sh*t. "-quote....

Any scientist or meterologist willing to go along with the Global Warming theory, that's who. If they don't stand behind Al Gore on this, their funds get cut off for any research project they have going.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-06-2009 19:44
[deleted]
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 03-07-2009 02:55
I really think global warming is BS. Have the weather patterns changed, you bet. If the dust bowl era was now, scientist would be telling us the sky is falling.
On the other hand I am pretty sure there were no automobiles during any of the previous ice ages. Hmm, how did we have those then. I can see the light going on at NASA now. Statistics are way absolutely nothing about anything. You can take any set of variables and come out with a predetermined conclusion depending on the statistical analysis you run on a particular data set.
By the way, how many trees and pastures does it take to offset the heating that concrete and asphalt collect and hold in our urban areas.
We all worked in a concrete jungle at one time or another.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 03-06-2009 19:26
what I dont get is there looking for a blinking star, in other words a planet going in front of a star. what are the chances of everything lining up exact to get a blink in front of a star?
Parent - - By Revjsnizzle (**) Date 03-06-2009 19:44
And at 300 million light years away who gives a rats ass?  Should have used that money to rebuild Gaza....
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-06-2009 20:30
[deleted]
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 03-06-2009 20:36 Edited 03-06-2009 20:43
Our planet won't last the way it is forever.  It's human nature to strive and survive; to understand who we are and how the universe works. 

When you step back and think about it, life is a fluke.  It worked out because the conditions for life on our planet were met.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-07-2009 04:34 Edited 03-07-2009 04:46
BRAVO!!!! Excellent rant Bryon!!!

All be it interesting, the discovery of an "Earth like planet" if it is 100 million light years away what difference does it make? Still on the quest to see if "we're alone" in the Universe. I've seen pictures of the countless galaxies on NASA's website, with the number of galaxies in one picture multiplied by the three sides of the photo you don't see. I'd say that somewhere out there, there is a pretty good chance it happened again, did'nt have to spend years at college to figure that one out. Earth created from space dust, theres a lot more dust out there. Makes you realize how tiny we really are, I say it's like an atom on an elephants butt and that is still no comparison to the magnitude of the universe. 100 million light years away though? Even 5 light years, that's only 29,328,480,000,000 miles away, heck a light day is 16,070,400,000 miles!! Not like we're just gonna b-bop over for an afternoon bbq........EVER!!! And if we are alone....what the h__'s the difference. Don't even think we can get out of our own solar system in one generation can we?

$600 million, I suppose this is not considered wasteful spending....like, you know...the military
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-07-2009 15:15
Hey think about it. They are just trying to keep the Sky from falling on us :-)
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-07-2009 15:27
I saw on the news the other day where they spent 280,000,000 on a satellite to monotor the global warming took 9 years to build it and after take off it crashed to the ground wonder if they got taxed for that
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-07-2009 16:03
On the face of it, I can agree. However; many of the technologies in use today came from the technologies created by NASA.
CCD's (charge coupled devices) or the electronic eye in your digital cameras is a classic example. It started life at JPL in conjunction with NASA.

The basic problem there is, when the tech is discovered/invented, it's the research agency hired by NASA that takes the credit.

There are thousands of examples to be given, but the bottom line is, at the time of their inception, most didn't understand the potential. (cryogenics advances, self righting life rafts, advanced welding techniques, just to name a few)

The real problem I have with NASA is the politicizing of it. They should not be held hostage to political whims. The switch to agreeing with global warming is a classic example of that. The scientist are threatened with their jobs if they don't go along, and with that, science goes out the window.

As for the Earth like planet, I'd lay even money a better imaging technology comes out of that after the military releases it to the public venue.

My opinion for what it's worth,
Gerald
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 03-07-2009 20:37
It could be worth it if they find a new home for politicians, lawyers, and terrorists relocating them all there?  :)
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 03-08-2009 01:55
Well you can bet they'll find something or anything because somehow you have justify all that money spent. Heck, todays news is tomorrows bird cage paper.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-08-2009 03:01
I don't think you guys have the big picture - we already borrowed all the money China, Japan and all those other countries can afford.  Now we have to find new investors somewhere out there beyond our solar system. :)
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-08-2009 06:03
Very well said Chet. Unfortunate but true.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-08-2009 06:09
We can send those rockets "Postage Due".  :-)
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-10-2009 03:48
[deleted]
Parent - By dmilesdot (**) Date 03-10-2009 15:49
A new planet would give the politicians a new "bail out scheme".  Come on there must be a solar system out there that needs a trillion or two.  Just print some more green backs and send it on out there.  There must be a pork barrell scheme or two on the back burner in congress.  Forget about our own homeless, we need to find some aliens that have "weapons of mass destruction" we can get on out there and invade their planet, we need to force our way of life on them, they MUST need our way of life.  Whats a few light years of travel?
Ok I am done ranting, sometimes it builds up and you just have to let go.
Dave
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Houston we have a problem