Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Keystone pipeline
- - By stkwldr (**) Date 03-12-2009 00:15
Work on Keystone pipeline scheduled to begin mid-May

Associated Press * February 16, 2009

YANKTON - Work on the TransCanada Keystone oil pipeline in southeast South Dakota is expected to begin in mid-May with several hundred workers using Yankton as construction headquarters for much of the year.
Spokesman Jeff Rauh says they'll start in Hutchinson County and work their way south about 130 miles into Nebraska.
The initial work will be locating and marking buried utilities. Other crews will remove topsoil, bury and weld the pipe, and inspect it.
Some pipe has already been laid in northeast South Dakota.
The pipeline will run from Canada through the eastern Dakotas and Nebraska. It will carry about 400,000 barrels of crude oil a day by early next year to refineries in Kansas, Illinois and Oklahoma.
Parent - By Marsh Welding (**) Date 03-12-2009 00:58 Edited 03-12-2009 03:35
last i heard there will be 2 runs of pipe from canada down to elk point sd. there is supposed to be a refinery going up there. 1 run for the refinery the other is to head south. the 1 going south is supposed to have a leg running across northern missouri through illinois to the chicago area. i havent heard much in the last year though. i used to work in sioux city iowa 1 week a month but i havent kept up with those projects lately. i believe the refinery was called the hyperion project. but like i said im blabbing about old news. if anybody comes to work these projects and needs welding machines let me know
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-12-2009 02:15
Anyone know who will be inspecting Keystone?  I have been searching the web and can't get an answer from TransCanada either. 
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 03-12-2009 02:39
I have a buddy working in NoDak inspecting on that line for TIC. He's been inspecting dirt work and just recently told me he was going to be getting started on prefab.
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 03-12-2009 03:29
Try CDI, they contract their guys out to TCPL. They were up here in Alberta on some compressor station work last year. I'll be working on that Keystone project starting next week and by then could have more details.
Parent - - By Marsh Welding (**) Date 03-12-2009 03:34
details would be great.i could be out of work due to a strike or lock out starting in may. that work is close for me and i have more sa 200s sitting around than i would ever need to rig out a truck or 2. i would love to do cross country work compared to the same boring crap i weld every other boring day.
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 03-12-2009 03:39
Roger that!
Parent - By okwelder82 (***) Date 03-13-2009 12:39
up-ten...count me in on that to. I would love to have some more info
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-12-2009 04:13
Yeah, bro, keep us updated.  I would like to get on with welding inspections.  I just got my CWI and am ready to try it out.  Keystone is gonna cut through Missouri fairly close to me so that would be a pretty good gig if I could get on .
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 03-13-2009 14:29 Edited 03-13-2009 18:53
I start Tues. next week so I should know more then. Remember guys, I'm on the northern side of the line so if it still helps, I'll pass along what I find out.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-17-2009 21:42
You ever get any more about that Keystone? I know it's been awhile since the post started but was curious since I read on Bechtels site that they were a big player in it. I heard one of the inspectors out here say they thought it would be mig welded pipe. Don't know the validity behind the source though.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-18-2009 01:05
bechtel is playing a large role in it. Thats a fact. Denali should be interesting
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-18-2009 03:39 Edited 05-18-2009 03:41
Bechtel is in the engineering end, they won't actually build anything. Bechtel hasn't built a pipeline in the U.S. since I believe the 50's.
All of the spreads on the Keystone are let as far as I know. The work's been going on for a while coming out of Canada into South Dakota. There's quite a bit left and it's starting up now.
Some spreads are automatic, some are manual.
There will be several inspecion outfits, I don't know who has inspection on any of the spreads.

JTMcC.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Keystone pipeline