Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Job Leads!
- - By The Ruffian (**) Date 03-13-2009 01:33
Maybe this can help someone!    
http://jobview.monster.com/GetJob.aspx?JobID=79868250&from=indeed
Parent - - By mastermetal (*) Date 03-13-2009 02:32
I recieved a email offer from this company. Anybody know anything about them.
Parent - - By Marsh Welding (**) Date 03-13-2009 02:39
i can tell you that the work is probably contract work for Mid American Energy. They told us we will be locked out if no contract by May 1. I can guarantee you wont have many friends crossing our pickets to work.
Parent - - By Joe Davidson (**) Date 03-13-2009 03:07
A different company called me today about a job that sounded identical to this. Said we may have to cross picket lines. He couldn't tell me who, where, and some time around April 20th. I told him I hoped I would be working somewhere else by April and good luck. They were paying $45/hr with OT $35/day PD, and paying hotel and travel. I don't think I want to cross any picket lines.
Parent - - By Marsh Welding (**) Date 03-13-2009 03:18
yep probably is mid american energy. looks like they are just trying to get enough scabs to get by. the amount of people theyre looking for would be about half the union work force. there may be another company lining up power plant jobs though. they said they were gonna lock us out, looks to me they mean it. perfect timing for me though. its a super busy time of the year for me. id rather be making $300 an hour pushing dirt anyway. usually do it after work and weekends. maybe i wont have to put in so many hours this spring
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-13-2009 11:15
why not just sign the contract . it's hard enuff to find a job these days if it comes to it asnd i need to cross i'll cross
Parent - - By Marsh Welding (**) Date 03-13-2009 12:07
last few contracts all we have done is give up stuff. this time its pension and just about everything else that makes it a good place to work. they are trying to make it a good paycheck with no other benefits. they brag about the $1,000,000,000 profit last year (yes thats 1 billion) but all they want to do is take. we are highly trained skilled workers but if they had it their way we would never be able to retire. we'd be better off working at hy vee for 40 years and actully be able to retire.
Parent - - By Partagas (*) Date 03-14-2009 01:46
Please do not take this the wrong way.  But you are doing what is called " Biting off your nose despite your face." You are going to lose a job (maybe not you due to your side work but your brothers) because you do not get what you want.  I do not know the extent of your contract.  But their is always wiggle room for both sides.  My company just signed a new one year contract, that worked for both us and them.  We get to work and keep are benefits plus a dollar an hour raise across the board and they get to keep their doors open.  Now we do not make your type of money nor does our company.  As a level 2 welder I make 16.32 with the hopes of in a year or two of getting up to 20.00, now with the cost of living in NY that is not good.  So having the opportunity to make twice that seems like a no brainier.  I am sorry if you feel that you are unable to make a good living and save ( and retire) with that kind of money.  Your ideology seems just like the problem the big three are having.  They feel it is owed to them.  But instead of looking at the big picture they look at the new truck/ new house / big screen TV/ and any other toy they have to have and are or are trying to pay for.  If you can not live on taking home around a grand a week, you would not last a week in NY.  Where welders do not even make that before taxes.  I understand that the giving or taking on their part has to stop at some point.  But what is the lesser of two evils.  A good paycheck or no paycheck ?

Sorry I will now get off my soapbox, and hide from all the flames I am going to get.
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 03-14-2009 01:59
Sorry you live in New York.
Parent - - By Marsh Welding (**) Date 03-14-2009 02:50
you say you kept all your benefits and got a raise. they are trying to take our benefits. if we lay down now it will only get worse. there are times in life when you have to stand up for yourself. keep in mind that the last time there was a labor dispute in my company it was in the late 60s. we have given and given. now its to the point to take a stand
Parent - - By Partagas (*) Date 03-14-2009 03:10
Yes we got to keep our benefits.  They are we have insurance and paid holidays.  And yesterday they changed our insurance carrier with out telling us. As for a 401K, we do not have one.  And retirement.............   No one has retired and some have worked their over 40 years.  So give me the extra 20 bucks an hour and I will make my own.  I am 42 and would need to work their until retirement anyway.  So I am screwed either way.
So please let me know what they are taking away from you.  It still seems more then most have.  And with 4 million on unemployment good luck finding another job.  So again, which is the lesser of two evils..
Sorry I do not mean to sound like I am bashing you or your stance.  I just an looking at it from a different point of view. 
Parent - - By KFab (**) Date 03-14-2009 04:45
damn all the rates i saw up north were on par with union wages...  id go to school and learn how to tig and stick... and u can grab a job makeing 25-30 with benefits...   im not much for sides... iam all for having a job.   what ever puts food on the table..
Parent - - By Partagas (*) Date 03-14-2009 14:05
Kfab, I went to school ( have AWS ASME and TUV certs) and I do Tig, Mig and Stick.  When I was working for Philips Medical making MRI's.  I was making 15 and change an hour.  So a welder Tig welding 1/2" Alum.  with certs building MRI's is making chump change compared to what they sell the product for.  The area I live Albany NY ( the Capital) has no ...  No welding jobs posted in the last month or two.  I got lucky when I got my job due to the fact I knew the guy giving me my weld test.  And the supervisor giving the interview knew my wife's family.  As for 25-30 with Benefits.......  LOL...   sorry.  that is long gone for this state unless you get into GE and they only hire family.  Even the state has dropped their pay scale.  I have even looked into work in NYC, an see they are now paying 12-18.

Right now the only people making big money seems to be rig runners.  The guys complaining about making 40 an hour.

I check indeed.com daily to see if their are new job postings.  check them out and put in zip code 12180( Troy,NY where I live) and 10016 ( NYC where I used to live) and you will see what I am talking about.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-14-2009 14:22
40 an hr is not big money when you take out fuel rods and consumables it pays the bills thats about it after you atke everything out we're making about as much as you but we are self employed and dont have to punch a clock no offense meant there a shut down going on close to me and they are paying 23 and 75 pd theres a big job in San Antonio texas for a power plant and they are paying 25 ah hour single hand
Parent - - By RockerB (**) Date 03-14-2009 16:04
Got any contact no. for San Antonio job? Any other no. will work too. Need to realy get my truck back to work, but will single hand if I have too. Thanks
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-14-2009 16:12
zachry has the job for the power plant at calveras lake i dont have the number but you can get it off the website DZ Atlantic has the shut down you can get the number off their website as well
Parent - - By RockerB (**) Date 03-14-2009 16:18
Thanks, Ill check them out.
Parent - - By mastermetal (*) Date 03-14-2009 19:05
The only thing a company owes you is 8 hr pay for 8 hrs work, thats it. This crap we have all grown up with that a company owes us this and owes us that is B.S. That attitude is going to ruin us all. We have to learn to take care of our selves on what we make in 40 hrs and if that means dropping our standard of living then so be it. 8 hr work (real work) 8 hrs pay. 8 hrs pay, 8 hrs work. Nothing more nothing less.
Parent - By 63 Max (***) Date 03-15-2009 03:43
Best Post I've seen in a long time.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-15-2009 15:02
i do know the DZ Atlantic job is paying 23 an hr and 75 a day pd
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 03-14-2009 22:19
Man I crossed a picket line on a job about 10 years ago,and it was a rough way to go.I don't know how many of the tires on my Trans Am were popped,or how many times I was called scab.

I can see it both ways,I don't work union,but think they are very essential for our industry.

Good luck.
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 03-15-2009 14:21
Job on craigslist in minneapolis for a part time structural welding instructor is anyone is looking.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/trd/1063147501.html

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Job Leads!