Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection codes & procedures
- - By QAFCO Date 03-23-2009 05:49
Hi there

Could someone help me with these inspection codes if applicable to be used for inspection as follows:

1)- ASME Sec. V      = Nondetructive Examination
2)- ASME Sec. Vlll   = Pressure Vessels
3)- ASME Sec. lX     = Welding and Brazing Qualification
4)- ASME B 31.3     = Structural Welding Code - Steel
5)- API 650            = Welding Steel Tank for Oil Storage
6)- SNT-TC-1A       = Qualification and Certification of Nondestructive Test Personel
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 03-23-2009 11:01
It depends on your job requirements but all are applicable as references.

No harm to read :)
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-23-2009 11:24
ASME 31.3 is Process piping.
AWS D1.1 is Structural Welding Code-Steel
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-23-2009 11:39
I've looked at your profile and see your in Qatar, so I am assuming Oil and gas.
The list of codes you specified are a 'few' of what would be used for a refinery. I also note all of those but two are new construction codes, and 2 could be either or.
To make another assumption, if this is for a refinery, your constructing tanks, and or vessles, and wish to certify PQR's, WPS's, WQT's, and certify NDE types.

That's the limit of what I can infer from your post. We will need more specific information to properly address your questions.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 03-23-2009 12:03
?
Parent - - By QAFCO Date 03-24-2009 04:00
1st of all i would like to thank you all for posting your information
Joy
BryonLewis
CWI555  >>> you are right oil & gas refinery
those codes are requirements for ultrasonic examination of fusion welded joints in ferrite steels to be used as procedures to defines the method of calibration, sensitivity, evaluation & reporting which will be used standard practice.
my question is (are those applicables)??

Regards
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 03-25-2009 01:51
Yes those are applicable codes but hopefully you have contract documents that will specify what code you are working under. Quite often it will be a combination of codes just like you have listed, that will apply when you are working on a process plant, refinery, etc. AWS D1.1 might apply to the structure for UT examination but it would not apply to your process pipe welds. Section IX would only be for welder qualification and ultrasonic examination would not apply for that.
Parent - By QAFCO Date 03-26-2009 06:46
Dear swsweld
thank you for the information you post
it's very helpful

regards
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection codes & procedures