Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Re-capping of welds for stainless steel
- - By Richman (**) Date 03-23-2009 10:13
In-case half of weld cap for butt joint between pipes and flanges connections is removed flush grinded up to the base metal for 6 inch Stainless steel schedule 40(7.11mm thick) to get the proper Flange Parallelism,   in re-capping during TIG welding of the joint mentioned does it will affect the root from coking or NOT, if the welder using TIG process did not apply back purging on pipe?
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 03-23-2009 20:21
Richman,
In the southern hemisphere we call it tig-washing and it should always be done with backpurge.
It is impossible to say whether the root would coke on a Sch 40 6" weld because we have no idea of the heat input or travel speed.
You may be able to get away with it but it is better not to take chances,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By mechan (**) Date 03-23-2009 21:22
If they are flanged connections and you are worried about the inside of the pipe, rub some solar flux on the backside of the joints?
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 03-24-2009 06:56
Some codes allow you to stop back purge when you have deposited 2 layers.
Both for P5, P9, SS, etc...

If a "color free" root is required, you might want to think twice about welding without purge.

Parent - - By Richman (**) Date 03-24-2009 09:32
For example in 2inch SS pipe Sch. 40/80(3.91/5.54mm thick) or 3inch SS pipe sch. 40(5.54mm thick) which normally welder deposited 2layers on the joint(butt) connections. Hence, when the welder's removed the weld cap and during re-capping the welders required to do back purging automatically, is that what you want to imply, Sir?  I tried to look in B31.3 since this is our reference code here in the project but I can't find specifically states that during re-capping for thinner material same on my example does required back purging.

Thanks so much for all your response
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 03-24-2009 09:48
In your case, I would purge during welding.

Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 03-25-2009 00:27
Sch. 40 yes, Sch. 80, no. Not quoting code here - just giving an opinion.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Re-capping of welds for stainless steel