Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 2 different filler metals acceptable?
- - By BLAZER (*) Date 03-21-2009 07:48
I'm looking for more information on two different filler metals used in the same weld and whether this is acceptable.  I searched past threads but couldn't find any specific references.
Here's the details:  Shop used Lincoln 71M during fabrication, if weld size needs to be increased in field, will the use of NR232 be acceptable?  Will there be a difference of acceptability depending on whether weld is a groove or fillet?  Thanks in advance.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 03-23-2009 10:56
Basically, welding shall be performed based on approved WPS. If you are using ASME 9, it allows the combination of processes, filler metals, or other variables. Where more than one WPS specifying different processes, filler metals, or other essential or supplementary essential variables is used in a joint, QW-451 shall be used to determine the range of base metal thickness and maximum weld metal thickness qualified for each process, filler metal, or set of variables, and those limits shall be observed.
Parent - - By BLAZER (*) Date 03-23-2009 13:32
Using D1.1...
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-23-2009 16:09
As long as your welding meets D1.1  (welder quals, WPS, etc., etc, AND the filler metal is qualified/prequalified), yes you can use NR 232.

It will not matter whether it's fillets or grooves.

But don't forget to check that your contract specs don't prohibit any of this.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 03-24-2009 01:19
Electrode wires for carbon steel
Lincoln 71M -----  E70T-1 (CO2 / DCEP)
NR232 ----------- E70T-8 (SELF / DCEN)

So the difference is shielding medium / polarity, If you refer to D1.1, 2006 ; Table 4.5, (LET SAY the WPSs without Prequalified Status)

PQR Essential Variable Changes Requiring WPS Requalification for:-

13) A change in type of current (ac or dc) or polarity (electrode positive or negative for dc current)

19) A change in shielding gas from a single gas to any other single gas or mixture of gas, or in the specified nominal percentage composition of a gas mixture, or to no gas.

Therefore, any change in essential variables outside the range so established shall require WPS requalification.

A separate or combine WPS for E70T-1 (CO2 / DCEP) and E70T-8 (SELF / DCEN) may be needed.
Parent - - By Bert70 (*) Date 03-24-2009 05:02
As Chet noted above, D1.1 does not prohibit intermix of filler metals. Also note that Section/Clause 3.6 permits combination of WPSs (qualified or prequalified).
Just verify your project spec or GSNs do not prohibit intermix of filler metals (or if D1.8 code is specified for the connection(s) in question).
Parent - - By BLAZER (*) Date 03-24-2009 13:25
Thanks for the response guys.  I wasn't concerned about documentation as the contractor has all the necessary documents for each filler metal, joint configuration, etc.  I was curious about any information on welding E70T-8 over E70T-1.  As mentioned, there is nothing in the job specs or governing code about this scenario.  I was searching more for knowledge of any information that electrode manufacturers may have published, in this case Lincoln.  Thanks for the assistance.
Parent - By Bmell209 Date 05-16-2016 17:21
D1.8 calls out in 6.3.4 that combining any process with with FCAW-S (single shield) requires qualification by testing... This is also explain more in annex-b, C-annex B, and C-6.3.4.. However all other processes are ok to mix... It would not be considered a bad idea to get conformation of approval to mix other process's...

So if your contract documents are supplemented with D1.8 this apples...
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 2 different filler metals acceptable?