Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / Duplex Alternatives
- - By Damian Moylan Date 03-25-2009 12:21
I was wondering if anyone could help with the following query;
We have a client who wishes to have 2.5% Mo (increased pitting resistance) and therefore 316L is not an option.
It has been suggested to chose duplex. However, I understand this material is highly expensive and only chosen if there is a high risk of chloride attack, stress corrosion cracking, or if high strenght is required at high temeprature. Since none of these apply to the intended application can anyone suggest an more economic alternative. In principle the only additional requirement above 'normal' 316L s/s is the 2.5% moly requirement. I assume that 316L welding wire cannot be used since SFA/AWS5.9 states it can be as low as 2% Mo.
Damian.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-25-2009 14:22
Duplex is a bit overkill. You could go with 317, or a nickel alloy with Mo(for example NiCrMo-3,4, or 10). Ni will be pricey too but it won't engender the welding issues that duplex does. The advantage of the Ni is you won't have to worry about Mo segregation.
Parent - By Damian Moylan Date 03-25-2009 16:03
js55,
Thanks very much for the tip! Damian Kotecki has warned about excessive sigma phase compounds impairing corrosion resistance and reducing notch toughness, so best avoided. It's also wickedly expensive.
Damian.
Parent - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 03-25-2009 20:27
You  can  specify  (but may not  get)  any  level  of  moly  that  you  want  -

I  believe  there was a grade  called   319  which  was 2.5 % Mo  minimum   but  that  was in the olden  days  of  the   ~ 1966.

If  it  is  just  the  moly  factor which  is  critical  you  should  be  able  to  ask  for   2.5  Mo   minimum  or   maybe  just go

with  Type  317 L  -
Parent - By vittorio (*) Date 03-27-2009 07:35
if you look at the composition of AISI 316, UNS 31600, the range of Mo is 2 -3 % so you can ask for a SS 316 with a minimum of 2.5%, i've seen this requirement sometimes or as someone else said you can use the SS 317 wich has a min of 3% of Mo.

V
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / Duplex Alternatives