Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Running TIG with 300D
- - By bullsnbets (**) Date 03-26-2009 02:33
I've been trying to run TIG with my 300D and things don't seem to be working out very well. I'm assuming the machine is just waaayyy too hot without the module sold by Lincoln. I did manage to run a little 1/8 Tungsten, but when I tried 3/32 with my machine turned all the way down, the Tungsten just disintegrated. I'm new at TIG, and have enrolled in a night class here at home to get some pointers. The Instructor is also at a loss as to why running the same set up on an SA200 works just fine, but the 300, no way. I can't find anything on the internet or anyone that runs this set up to give me any feedback. Any help would be appreciated.
Parent - By Shane G Date 03-26-2009 02:54
I've ran 3/32" tungsten at over 300 amps many times with no problems. You are running DCEN aren't you?

Electrode + will melt down a tungsten at very low amperages in no time flat.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-26-2009 02:58
    The Lincoln "Tig Module" is a HF start device with a gas selonoid & delay timer. There is nothing in there to reduce the machine output.

Do You have the TIG torch hooked to the negative lead? The tungsten will not carry much current [1/16 -10 to 20 amps] if hooked to the positive lead.

Re-check Your setting to be sure You are all the way down, I desintigrated the tungsten TWICE on My big tig welder before I realised I was in high range, that range starts at 400 amps. I had accidentally moved the wrong control because stuff was piled in front of the machine.

Parent - - By weldervaughn (**) Date 03-26-2009 04:14
make sure you are running DCEN, i had a 300d and never had a problem tiging with it.
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 03-26-2009 12:45 Edited 03-26-2009 13:06
Swap your leads . I ran the exact set up for months on a S/S job . Turn your arcforce down and make sure your leads are swapped. Set your selector down to min. and your rheostat down to ... about 40  to start . When I do pipe , I set it to about 50-70  depending on wall thickness . Thats for the root... then I bump it up to about 100-120 for the hot pass .  I have alot of time on a TIG rig , so these settings may be a little hot for you . Oh , and I always run 1/8" tungsten ... the smaller sizes just don't work well . Just play with it and have fun ! Good luck . 
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 03-26-2009 17:30
I run a perkins. kabota only comes with arc force. i'm hooking my ground to the gas block, and my stinger to the work metal... straight polarity, so i'm assuming that your saying to run reverse polarity? have you actually tried that? I have..... doesn't work. thanks for the machine settings... I think that is most of my problem. I'll try that.
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 03-27-2009 01:01
Well , I use twists , so I put my ground on the positive lug and the stinger on the negative lug .  If you don't have the arcforce then it should be easier .
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 03-27-2009 03:54
I finally got it figured out. I turned my range selector all the way down and my OCV at 70%...... works great! I was running waaayyy too much heat. And that's with 1/8 Tungsten. Runs nice and smooth. I'm welding carbon with it right now, (pipe). We just finished laying out a short line yesterday, (5 miles of 12"), and if I'm going to have to park my rig for a while and go to work Single Hand, I want to be prepared. I've noticed that most Single Hand jobs are calling for Combo Welders, so if that's what I have to do to stay in the loop, then I certainly will do whatever it takes to get there. So I reckon I'll be Tig'n a little here around the house for the next week or so and see what comes up Pipeline wise. If nothing, then probably gonna head down towards New Orleans and do the Single Hand deal for a while. Thanks again for the help fellas. Very much appreciated.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 03-27-2009 09:41
thats where I'm at in New Orleans east, I've heard Avondale or no Northrope Gruman shipyard is hiring at liek 42 an hour for contractors but I don't know if it's much better here I've heard of alot of place laying people off around here.

Bullsnbets where are you from?
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 03-27-2009 15:09
I live in Woodward, OK. I have a cousin that is a foreman at a shipyard in Virginia, so if New Orleans doesn't work out, I guess I'll head East. I really don't care where as long as I'm working.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 03-27-2009 23:39
yeah thats what I heard was Virginia has a shipyard with plenty of work, I'm sure you could find something here.
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 03-27-2009 23:49
If you hold a union card ... Pueblo , CO is rollin' .  Well , the whole state  is .
Parent - - By okwelder82 (***) Date 03-28-2009 03:32
Is the work you are talking about in Colorado single hand work or pipeline?
Parent - By pypLynr (***) Date 03-28-2009 16:13
Single .
Parent - By KFab (**) Date 03-28-2009 03:21
Pds is one of the main contractors for northrop gruman in avondale.  There paying like 37 an hour combined with perdium and only 40ish hours a week.  I even got quotes for 22 or 24 for structural hands .. flux core.  And the compo job was a 2 inch tig test and a  socket weld 1/2 90 copper nickel restricted.  And a stick 2 inch heavy wall test.   most of the ship yards i got calls from were all 40 hours a week.      hope this helps.
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 03-27-2009 02:53
what are you trying to tig with a 300D?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Running TIG with 300D