Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Performance Quals to AWS SWPS
- - By FloridaSnook (**) Date 05-12-2003 13:55
I have just purchased (downloaded) my first AWS SWPS (B2.1-1-207-96) which is GTAW of Carbon Steel using ER70S-2.

For the purpose of demonstrating the SWPS, am I correct in my understanding that I can use any pipe diameter/thickness combination as long as it falls within the parameters of the SWPS which is any diameter with a thickness between 1/8” and 1-1/2” ?

And, with respect to performance qualification, if I already have a welder qualified on 304L stainless and ER308L filler (GTAW) , I need not test him on carbon tig since we are using the same process and the filler is F6 and the base metal P numbers are allowed.

OR, do I have to test everyone (performance) because I am using a SWPS?

Thanks!
Parent - By George-kh (**) Date 05-18-2003 20:13
1 - According to ASME IX for qualification a welding procedure, pipe qualifies plate and vice versa. So, you just need to use a pipe or plate which its thickness falls to the range of SWPS.
2 – according to ASME IX (welder qualification), any F-No. 6 qualify all F-No. 6 and any base metal P-No. 1 through P-No. 11 qualify P-No. 1 through P-No. 11
Both ER 308L and ER 70S-2 fall to F-No. 6, so your welder is qualified.

However, I feel that something is wrong.
Probability to make a weld defect is lower when a 1/8” plate is welded; comparing to 1.5” one for demonstration and doing radiography test. Therefore everybody prefer to use a 1/8” plate!!!!!
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-18-2003 22:13
If your 308 WPQ was performed with backing gas and your SWP's does NOT use backing gas, then the welder is not qualified for the root pass. Other than hat, you should be fine provided all other variables are within the production ranges to be used for carbon steel.

G Austin
Parent - - By FloridaSnook (**) Date 05-19-2003 12:19
I just re-read QW-356 and see where the deletion of backing gas is an essential variable. My P8 WPS does require backing gas and the P1 SWPS does not so I will have to requalify my welders. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Parent - By George-kh (**) Date 05-19-2003 17:53
I think I could find my answer.
According to QW-510(e) test coupon shall be tested accordance with QW-302.1 and this part refers to QW-452 (performance qualification thickness limits). So, if somebody has chosen a 1/8” plate, demonstration is done for a 2t or 1/4” plate and not more. Therefore for demonstration a SWPS a 0.75” plate, at least, shall be used.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Performance Quals to AWS SWPS