Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PIPEWELDERS PIPEWELDRS
- - By david shade (*) Date 03-30-2009 03:33
I am in the process of testing my 6 g 6010 on sch 40 pipe. My question is, what position should i be most familiar with? What position is most common in the field. It would seem like 5 g would be most common. If anybody has any advice, ill take it! By the way all the my hat goes off to all the pipe welders, its not easy but I am getting it. Thanks. David Shade
Parent - By bullsnbets (**) Date 03-30-2009 05:09
5g is most common on Mainline. Most Plant work is uphill and will test 6g with the majority of the welds still being 5g. In both cases though if you're doing tie ins, the welds can be any position.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 03-30-2009 18:29
I'd agree, 5G and 6G are the ones you are going to want to know real good.  You will more then likely always be tested to 6g wherever you go though.
Parent - - By david shade (*) Date 03-31-2009 00:32
awesome. thanks.. to me 5 g is way harder maybe its just me.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-02-2009 18:15
Most everything I've done here lately(just breaking out) has been 5G and have done several 2G on 90 degree elbows and such. Can't say about the 6G and boiler stuff, just can't seem to muster any sort of desire to do any of that stuff. Ran a couple uphills and root good, just not interested. Just seems hard until you get it, then it's not so bad, just another weld. You get out into the real world and that's an entirely different nut to crack, perfect line up, gap etc......
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PIPEWELDERS PIPEWELDRS