Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Wage Inquiry
- - By cnd_weldeng Date 03-31-2009 13:53
Hello all,

I have a quick question, what is the current rate (average) for a CWI with 2-3 years experience? I got my CWI last year I also have my welding engineering degree and have been working as one for the past 6 years. Before that I worked as welder (gmaw, smaw, saw, gtaw) with 15years experience there.  Recently I was laid off from my engineer position, and am thinking about pursuing a career down the CWI path. So I am just trying to find out for all you experienced CWI's what kind of rates can I expect if I subcontract myself out through my own LLC company?

Thanks for any info help you can supply!

Bill
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 03-31-2009 14:15
I think average weld engineer pay exceeds average CWI pay, however, for a WE + a CWI you might be able to exceed WE pay.  If I were you, I would consult as a WE and/or a CWI.  The rate might even be variable depending on what people want done.  I know the welding engineering consultants in Orlando charge around $200-$300 an hour do develop weld procedures.  CWI's on this board have stated earnings around $50-$60K.  It might be higher billing by the hour for travel contract jobs, but then, you might need to plan on living on savings between contracts. Plus, you need to think about the insurance and all those self employment taxes.  There are sometimes welding engineer contract jobs on the web for nuclear power plants.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-31-2009 22:03
Real degreed "welding" engineers are pretty rare, especially one with a CWI and production welding experience!

I suspect that even in these difficult times that a person with your pedigree will have many opportunities to choose from.

You might even find an engineering job that has an inspection component, this way you can get greater job satisfaction!

also agree with Obewan that engineers "generally" will out earn inspectors.

There are people out there desperately seeking a jewel like yourself
Parent - - By raptor34 (**) Date 03-31-2009 22:04
Around the Four Courners they get anywere from $40-50 an hour. Usually they roll it into a daily rate of $400 to $500 a day. Plus all the other add ons like a truck, four wheeler, per diem, and computer.
Parent - - By BLAZER (*) Date 03-31-2009 23:57
Close to the same here in Southern California.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-01-2009 02:21
And Central AZ.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-01-2009 14:23
That seems about right for the average inspection company. But with your education and experience I would not think that it would be to difficult to do better. With most companies you would most likely do well and be one of the inspectors most able to perform all of there duties. Then there are some companies where, even with your background, you will be average at best. It sounds like you might like to diversify and improve yourself. Most companies don't offer much in that regard other that NDT or special inspection. I'm not sure how much research you have done on inspection companies or your limitation on travel is. It would not be out of the question for you to make over 100K with the right company. Bureau Veritas comes to mind, they were a good company to work for.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 04-01-2009 16:37
100.000+

Parent - - By cnd_weldeng Date 04-01-2009 22:59
Thanks for all the great info, it has add more food for thought!  The way that I think I am going to try to progress is to start my own LLC (welding inspection and consulting services), I have spoke with three consulting firms that do welding engineering consulting + cwi inspection. The way I am structuring it, is I will sub contract myself out to them for the first while. Then at the same time, as I build my reputation up and experience I will try to find my own work to bid on as well.
I really miss being a welder, I love inspection, and enjoy doing weld eng work. But I hate working for mindless corporations that have the blind leading the masses. So I figured I am young, and what the heck, nothing ventured nothing gained right!

Again thank you all for your input, when I get my business setup Ill shoot my info out. If I am ever in any of your areas and you want to grab a beer and shoot the ****, first round on me!!

Take care all, the wealth of information on here is like no other!!

Bill
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 04-05-2009 18:08 Edited 04-05-2009 18:14
Bill,

You have a great background, but be cautious when using the word "consultant".  Some of the GL insurance underwriters are leery of that term. It implies that you are advising your customer to take certain actions, and of course they want some assurances that you are capable of giving that advice.  Something like  "Quality Services", or "Inspection Services" may be a better term.  Since you are a welding engineer, you can legally use the word "engineering" in the business name, or again.....mention it in the description.  You should visit with your insurance or attorney on this.

You could have a registered business name, and just add a snappy description to business cards or letterhead later on.  Like:

CND Inspection
Diversified Quality Services (or Diversified Engineering & Quality Services)
P.O. Box 1234
Anytown, USA

~thirdeye~
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Wage Inquiry