Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME IX plate thickness for welder qual?
- - By arcblue (*) Date 05-22-2003 15:13

What is the thickness of the test plate thickness for ASME IX welder qualification?
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 05-22-2003 16:49
The thickness of the plate used to qualify determines the range of qualifaction.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-22-2003 17:00
I'm sure it's like D1.1 or at least very similar, thickness of the test plate determines what thicknesses the welder is qualified to weld. Example: test plate is 3/8" and welder would be qualified 1/8" - 3/4" thicknesses. This applies up to 1" test plates. 1" and over test plate, the welder is qualified for 1/8" - unlimited thicknesses. ASME may have other variables, but it's probably along the same order but may have pipe diameter variables also.
John Wright
Parent - - By Wildturkey (**) Date 05-23-2003 12:30
for section IX you are qualified for twice the thickness of the test coupon.....make shure if you are bending the samples that you use the proper radius
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 05-23-2003 14:21
Wildturkey, there are some situations that limit your qualification range to less than 2X the test coupon. I don't have them all memorized, but GMAW short arc limits the thickness to 1.1X test coupon (for coupons less than 1/2").

Arcblue, it would be a good idea to review Sec. IX before undertaking performance testing. There are a number of essential variables that may cause you some difficulty if you miss them (diameter range, position, etc.)

Charles Hall
Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 05-27-2003 13:24
thanks charles for the correction....i should have noted that
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-23-2003 17:32
With certain exclusions, as pointed out, you can qualify for the "Maximum to be welded" which is normally interpreted as unlimited thickness if the weld is 1/2" and over, and has a minimum of 3 layers of weld metal. See QW-404.30.
Parent - By arcblue (*) Date 05-23-2003 21:28
Did you mean to suggest QW-452.1 ?

How do you interrupt the first part of QW-452.1 (b) ,
under thickness of weld metal in coupon : ALL = 2t thickness qualified ?

The question is a welder qualified on ½ in plate qual for unlimited thickness?
Or is it 2 times the thickness of the test plate?

And how do you read the note (3) about 3 or more welders?
Three or more welders welding on a single performance qual plate???

I would like to see that, what a sight.....
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME IX plate thickness for welder qual?