Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / rifles and pistols
- - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-06-2009 02:51
As has been noted in other threads, the civilian firearms/ammunition markets in the U.S. has been more liquid and dynamic than probably any time in the history of the U.S.

Heard from a friend today that had visited the Tulsa show this weekend and the prices and quality of firearms were all over the charts by what he told me.
That is reflected in my own recent experience as well.

While near panic has apparently set in, buying something of questionable nature is just as bad an idea as it is when things are calm.
I would caution all to pay attention to what it is your buying. At a show recently, I visited a table that had a pile of parts on the table, particularly AR-15
and FN-FAL. I would have only given scrap metal price for what was there, but the table was empty by noon on Saturday. With that in mind, some things
to beware of:

Chrome lined AR 15 barrels are typically meant for 5.56 nato, and when that chrome is pealing or pitted, for all practical purposes they are junk. The same goes for the FN barrels.
Remember corrosive ammunition is never good for any of the metal parts in a firearm. Cleaning those corrosive salts is important if you go that route. Standard cleaning solvents won't cut the mustard either as they are improperly balanced to do the job.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/edred/index.asp
I use a variant of the info in the link given. It works fine and dandy. But then again, in a stick, simple hot water and dish soap will get rid of the salts.

Whatever your flavor, be it singles, revolvers, semi's, etc, none of it is going to serve it's intended purpose if it blows up in your face.
Overpressured rounds in a firearm not designed for it will hurt or kill you. Add poor condition to the firearm in question and you've doubled your chances of hurting yourself or others. Which prompted this post. I witnessed a man get his hand shredded today at the range, and caught some shrapnel in my leg from it. He was firing a Berreta 92 with 9mm black tip surplus. For those of you that don't know what that is, it's 9mm luger ammo which is +P+ designed for Machine guns. The particular surplus he had come up with was corrosive and by the look of the barrel fragments had pitted the barrel. Add those two factors in and you are setting yourself up for trouble.
Berreta designs for Sammi spec

standard-pressure 9mm=37,400psia
9mm+p= 38,500psia
9mm+P+=40,000 ??? (no rigid rule for this)
9mm NATO=42,000-43,000psia (pounds per square inch, absolute)
9mm"proof loads"=49,800

9mm black tip runs 44K to 45K if you get true black tip

If the deal is to good to be true, it probably is, the guy was lucky the barrel went and the slide held. It's a statement for the quality of the firearm that he was not more seriously injured and added to the Darwin list of awardee's.

It may have held even given the over pressure if it had been in good working order.
Be mindful of the condition of the firearm, the parts you buy for them, and the ammunition. I love to shoot, but it takes all the fun out of it when it blows up on you like that.
Don't assume that surplus is non corrosive just because of the caliber or some hokey statement from some salesperson that doesn't know jack about it.
Don't assume that part your buying is in good order if you don't have experience with it. Do your homework before you buy.
The body part you save, or life you save may be your own.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 04-06-2009 21:28
Good info, I know from a lot of reloading all its takes a small mistake and guns shoot out of the side. My landlord in Rawling Wyo ran out of his favorite powder  and decided to try just a little pistol powder in his new Weatherby rifle. The bolt cut his cheek and earlobe and the gun was junk. I cant lmagine the difference in pressures, it even separated the rim from the cartridge.
I do believe in starting with lower loads and working up slowly but I always use Magnum primers for good ignition. That cheap old military surplus imported ammo is sure a crap shoot. Had some 308 junk purchased at a show that spit every primer out. Some of the rounds were so quiet I ran a rod through the barrel to make sure the bullet left.
Stainless is the ticket if available or not too spendy. I have a early 223 Ruger mark II stls that has 3-4000 rounds through it, never cleaned properly and it has only lost .009 of rifling. I dont think my ar will do that well but who knows.
Guess thats why most of the older cheap guns are for sale anyway, worn out and shot out.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-07-2009 15:01
Afriend of mine bought a 45 pistol at a gun show 2 weeks ago from a guy just walking around the show he paid 400 for it. and it is a Elite brand i never heard of it. he turned down a ruger 40 cal for 375. i told him he should of bought the ruger. the gun he bought looks like a throw away gun to me
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / rifles and pistols