Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Stainless to carbon steel
- - By mebrafo Date 04-08-2009 18:06
When welding stainless steel to carbon steel base material, does the welder need to qualify to D1.6 requirements? Does a WPS need to be qualified? I need help with this one.
Parent - - By Bert70 (*) Date 04-09-2009 07:38
It would depend on the application and job specifications.

If the stainless steel member is designed IAW D1.6 then one would likely be required to qualify.

If the governing code is D1.1, and the stainless steel member is something like a slide bearing plate, the essential variables for requalification do not restrict the welder from performing this work. However the WPS would require qualification.

-Bert
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 04-09-2009 19:07
What , EXACTLY , are the  requirements    ?       ?                ?                          ?
Parent - By rickc (**) Date 04-16-2009 15:51
I bought AWS B2.1 for Stainless to Low Carbon Steel specifically but, I haven't gotten around to running a coupon to it yet. Although, you could easily use D1.1 or D1.6 with one of the materials being unlisted.
Parent - - By weldhawk71 (**) Date 04-27-2009 19:47
What does IAW stand for?
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-27-2009 20:29
In accordance with?
Parent - - By Bert70 (*) Date 04-28-2009 07:09
As John suggested:

IAW or I.A.W.  = in accordance with
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-30-2009 10:55
Qualify the procedure with the base metals being joined in production and then qualify the welders.

My preference is to qualify the welders with the same materials and filler metals as to be used on the project. If this is a job that will be welded using SMAW, I strongly suggest you insist on each welder passing the T-Fillet break test. It is very difficult to get the fillet to fuse to the root.

I know what the code requires and permits, but you have to consider what is in the best interest of your employer. There are lessons to be learned when qualifying the procedure and the welders. This is one of those cases where a conservative approach will serve you well.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Stainless to carbon steel