Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME-IX-THICKNESS OF WELD METAL QUALIFIED
- - By norberto (*) Date 04-12-2009 21:22
Hi everybody! I have a doubt. If I qualify a welder SMAW or GTAW in a plate with T=11.0 of thickness and thickness of weld metal with t=11.0 mm, obviously he would be qualified to weld a thickness of 22.0 mm (2t). On the other hand, if I was in a plate with T=19.0 mm, and a thickness of weld metal with 19.0 mm would the welder be qualified to a thickness of weld metal with only19.0 mm or an ulilimited thickness of weld metal?
the main problem for us in Brazil is to understand the meaning of "Maximum to be welded). In my opinion, in this case would be 19.0 mm the thickness of weld metal qualified, but as I'm in doubt I decided to seek help.
a hug
Attachment: QW-452.1b.doc (49k)
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 04-13-2009 07:59
It means that if you qualify the welder in a groove weld on plate that is 1/2" [13 mm] or greater and the weld deposit is 1/2" [13 mm] or greater AND at least 3 passes, he or she is qualified to weld any thickness qualified by the WPS used. Example: If your WPS was done in 1.5" plate, then the WPS is qualified to t = 8" (never mind that in the real world, depending on the material, the greatest thickness ever encountered might be 4" for your particular material). The welder can be qualified to weld the maximum to be welded, according to the WPS (t = 8") by welding the 1/2" plate in three passes or more.
Parent - By norberto (*) Date 04-13-2009 14:30
Hi jarcher. I understand the term: "Maximum to be welded" as the thickness, t, of the Weld Metal in the Coupon over 13.0 mm. For example, if I qualified a welder with a coupon with 25.0 mm of (t). the welder would be only qualified to weld until 25.0 mm of (t), that would be "maximum to be welded. As you can see, a welder who welds a plate with 13.0 mm of (t) probably he is not realible to weld 38.0 mm of (t), or more than that. I think so. The term would be unlimited and not " Maximum to be welded". Do you agree with me?
a hug
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME-IX-THICKNESS OF WELD METAL QUALIFIED