Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / how to forge duplex stainless steel?
- - By sanjayb (*) Date 04-11-2009 09:42
we have to forge two peices of duplex stainless steel weighing 700kgs to 1 ton .
Please tell us the pre forge temperature , precautions to be taken during and post forge operation and any other paramaeters to be observed.

your responses will be of great help.

regards
Sanjay
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 04-11-2009 09:57
Sanjay,

Even though the expertise is huge in this forum, I will advise you to seek "proffesional" help in this matter.

Parent - - By Nanjing Date 04-11-2009 12:24
If it is standard 22% Cr duplex heat to 1040C and allow to cool in stiil air. If it is 25% Cr Super Duplex heat to 1150C and cool in still air. Are you serious asking this question? I hope you are not selling this to the developed world.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 04-12-2009 17:39
Why would you ever cool duplex in still air and invite intermetallic precipitation?  Even in-process heat treatements are typically followed by water quenching so that the part doesn't become brittle before the next step in production.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-13-2009 12:21
3.2 is right. Contact the material manufacturer on this one.
Parent - By darren (***) Date 04-27-2009 11:27
isnt it odd how MANY POST THIS FORUM GETS FROM THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES FROM "MEN AND WOMEN WHO ARE JUST TRYING TO FEED THEIR FAMILIES" AND ASK QUESTIONS THAT INVOLVE HUNDRED'S OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF PROPER ENGINEERING. I respect you are trying to feed your family but as ghandi said" be the change you want to see in the world"
to paraphrase" don't sell your self short"
darren
Parent - - By sanjayb (*) Date 04-26-2009 07:01
Thanks! for all your responses.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-27-2009 23:00
sanjab,
I also live in a third world country, so I have nothing against people who live in third world countries.
My opinion is the following:
1st. This is the site of the American Welding Society, so the questions posted on it are supposed to be questions related to welding, not forging, as yours.
2nd. I agree with 3.2 Inspector. Yours is a very specific question. If you're faced with the not negligible task of forging two 1 ton duplex s.s. pieces and don't know how to proceed, you should hire a competent consulting engineer to teach you. 
3rd. By the way your answer is written, I deduct that you know very little (if any) forging. So you can get a general idea of the operation, you may read the book "Metal forming practice" by Heinz Tschaetsch (good Heavens, is anyone able to pronounce correctly that name?)
Giovanni S. Crisi
São Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / how to forge duplex stainless steel?