Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TYPICAL OPERATING PROCEDURES
- - By weldstudent (**) Date 04-12-2009 18:15
Hi all.
I am new to the site and i have enrolled in college to get an AA in welding technologies.

I am trying to find a website that i can go to and locate the TYPICAL OPERATING PROCEDURES for ALL stick electrodes, Flux cored wires with and without shielding gas, and metal cored wires with shielding gas.

Any info. will help a lot. Thanks
Parent - By 250pipeliner (**) Date 04-12-2009 18:29
lincoln electric.com has a lot of info
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-13-2009 15:10
WeldStudent... Welcome to the forum!

also see

www.weldreality.com

By the way,,,, If you are enrolled in an AA program you damn well ought to have a textbook!

It will have the answers to all your SMAW and FCAW parameter questions as well... Although there is nothin wrong with comparing
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 04-13-2009 21:36
Hey, WeldStudent!
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 04-14-2009 02:56
Hello there, I got my AA in Welding and fabrication a few years back so I've been in your situation.

i suggest picking up a book.

hobart makes some good ones like http://www.welding.org/p-124-pocket-welding-guide-30th-edition.aspx the pocket welding guide. Lincoln makes "metals and how to weld them"

honestly though I can't think of a single website book, or reference that lists all the operating procedures you listed. Or they'll be extremely general and vague because theres way too many parameters to make a comprehensive list.  weldreality has a few paramters mostly to do with shielding gas, but again this will all change the second you change your position, material thickness, weld shape, fit up etc. Way too much to be listed in books efficiently.

In general when I was in my first year or so, teachers and experienced welders would generally give you good parameters to start at. I say it's better to learn the ins and outs of what effects a weld and from there you can go about setting up machines without having to refer to thick tomes. Now when I setup a machine I usually go for a desired effect (100% penetration, max practical depositon etc) and then adjust parameters until I get values that would meet that goal.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TYPICAL OPERATING PROCEDURES