Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Which Filler For 304L to 17-4 PH?
- - By rangerod (**) Date 04-14-2009 03:01
The best I could come up with is ER630. Are there any alternatives? Are there any technical reference books available anyone could reccomend that I could purchase to guide me to the correct filler metal to use for any particular material combination? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rod
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-14-2009 20:12
ER630 is the common choice for 17-4 PH. Austenitics (specifically 308) have been used but will not have the tensile strength and will not have the PH response to heat treatment.

ASM Handbook Volume 6 is one of the best. Its pricey, but the volume of information contined in it is worth it, and indispenable to the welding engineer.
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 04-14-2009 20:41
What are you  trying  to match  -   hardness   or  corrosion  resistance  ?
Parent - - By rangerod (**) Date 04-15-2009 02:20
First, Thanks to all for your prompt assistance. A customer is requesting the feasability of joining both of these materials for a pressure vessel. This already sounds like this is not going to be possible. I do not have all the details but it sounds like the vessel would require corrosion resistance along with all the strength possible. Inconel has also been suggested as a possibilty. I will pass on all of your responses to our engineer & see where this goes. I appreciate the suggestions for the reference materials. I don't mind spending the money for added knowledge I just want to purchase the best reference possible. Again , Thanks for the help.

Rod
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 04-15-2009 03:00
I'm not familiar with any code that accepts welded 17-4 for pressure vessels, especially ASME.  What code would you use for design and fabrication?
Parent - By rangerod (**) Date 04-15-2009 22:22
It would be ASME code & its the customer not our company which wants to use the dissimilar materials. We will approach the customer to see if a 304 to 304 would be acceptable to them in light of your ASME reference. Thank you.

Rod
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 04-15-2009 01:36
I would not use the ER630 to weld 17-4PH to 304L since the ER630 is not as user friendly as the regular austenitic stainless steels, and since the strenght of the 304L is adequate, there should not be any need to match the strength of the 17-4PH.  I haven't done any math to figure out where the weld composition would lie on the WRC or Shaffler diagram, but it might not be pretty there either, and it depends on what process and joint you use.  AWS D1.6-2007 has a nice table in the back recommending filler metals for all kinds of dissimilar stainless steel joining.  My first guess would be to use 309L, but you should confirm that on the WRC diagram once you know your dilution rate, and test it in accordance with the proper welding code.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-15-2009 12:32
Greg is right. I stand corrected. With this dissimilar ER309 would be the choice. I think once you've evaluated the diagram you will find its OK. I've never performed a dissimilar beteween these alloys but from what I've read it isn't uncommon. And the austenitic has the advantage of not being as H2 embrittlement sensitive as 630.
Marty makes a good point too. Better evaluate the code ramifications of this one before you jump in.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 04-16-2009 11:17
In response to you last question on technical references, the steel manufacturer's are the best place to start and they usually provide the info for free.  Here is a data sheet on 17-4 that is helpful:

http://www.alleghenyludlum.com/ludlum/Documents/17-4Cdate082206.pdf

The technical publications at NIDI.org are also an excellent resource.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Which Filler For 304L to 17-4 PH?