Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Thickness range qualified
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 04-15-2009 11:48 Edited 04-15-2009 11:58
I know this question has been addressed before, but I can't seem to find reason  why. Can anyone please help me understand why ASME limits a welder to the amount of weld he can deposit in a production piece and not base metal thickness qualified, whereas AWS only puts the limits on base metal thickness qualified. I can understand the reasons behind putting limits on WPS thickness, but not welder performance. Also, looking at ASME QW-452.1(b), it states that if coupon thickness is 1/2" and over with three layers minimum then the qualified weld metal thickness is "Maximum to be welded". What does that exactly mean? Sounds to me like as long as you use more than three layers your qualified to weld what ever thickness you need to in the field. Am I wrong?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-15-2009 12:01
Perhaps ASME takes into consideration the welder may be welding partial joint penetration groove welds as well as complete joint penetration groove welds, fillets, and surfacing welds. The thickness of the weld deposit makes sense when considering PJP grooves and surfacing welds (cladding and buttering).

That's just a though. I don't sit on the Section IX committees so I really don't know what their thought process is.

Best regards - Al 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Thickness range qualified