Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum Weld Wire Storage
- - By Zeek (**) Date 04-17-2009 19:58
We have several spools of aluminum wire for aerospace TIG welding.  What is the industry standard on how to store aluminum wire?

Also, in regards to wire cleanliness when it's on the machine, are there companies that sell attachments for wire feeders which basically brush or clean the wire as it comes off the spool?

Thanks.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-17-2009 20:44 Edited 04-17-2009 20:48
Typically the filler metals for GTAW are stored in a manner that protects them from the general shop environment, i.e., mists, dust, etc. A storage closet or a set of drawers such as that used to store drawings in work nicely. The 10 pound boxes fit in the draws and you can use a separate drawer for each alloy.

Electrode for use with GMAW can be stored in their original containers placed in a cabinet until needed for production work. They can be returned to the plastic bags and placed back into the cardboard containers when they are not on the machine. The wire feeder should cover the electrode. As is the case with GTAW filler metals, the spools need to be protected from shop mists and dust. Some companies sell a fiber reinforced composite container that attaches directly to the wire feed so the spool is enclosed while it is on the machine. I've cut the cardboard box and placed it over the spool so that it protected the spool while it was on the machine. It usually fits loose enough that the spool can turn easily when the wire feeder is engaged.

There is a company that sells a small felt pad that fits over the wire and wipes it as it the wire is drawn through the pad by the wire feeder. It is sometimes referred to as a lubricator which is probably the worst thing you could call it. I has a situation this past summer where a welder "wannabe" actually placed a dollop of grease on the felt pad to help lubricate the wire.

Some companies actually store the filler metals in a separate room with doors that remain closed at all times to keep contamination to a minimum.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-18-2009 00:57 Edited 04-18-2009 01:01
Al,
  Just a note in regards to the "lubrication" of the wire. The felt pads you mention are also designed for use with a product called "LUBE" (there are probably others as well) I am not sure of the contents and will have to wait until monday to verify, but I think it is more an alcohol based product than oil, that cleans the wire more than actually lubricates it. You soak the felt pad with it.

As you mention, this is not something that should be done with a quart of motor oil or grease. LOL

I really do not prefer to use them, but I have been in a couple of situations where they were a benifit. We had a small portion of wire that had some dust on it. The wire was still good, no rust, just dirty. Also with long leads it helps with proper wire feed. Under average conditions, I usually did not use them.

jrw159

EDIT: Sorry it is Weld-Aid Lube Matic that I was thinking about.

http://www.weldfabulous.com/Mig-Welding-Consumables/Miscellaneous/Weld-Aid-007040-Wire-p6121677.html
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-18-2009 02:50 Edited 04-21-2009 02:48
   I use the little felt pad thingies [Lube Matic ?]. I was surprised how much stuff did accumulate on it where the wire passes through. In My home shop a 44# spool of wire might last 5 years, and in spite of the wire spool being enclosed in the machine cabinet, that is plenty of time for a little dirt & grime to filter in and settle on the wire.

EDIT: I use the Lube Matic pads on steel wire, havn't tried them on aluminum & don't know if I should, the lube might add more contamination than they remove.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-18-2009 19:29
at work I know if we are changeing wire size out we would put the wire in a hot box to keep it from getting contaminated but I do work right next to salt water to
Parent - By darren (***) Date 04-20-2009 06:26
a couple of earplugs works ok and if you want lube then use used earplugs
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum Weld Wire Storage