Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Knee pads
- - By EVWELDER (**) Date 01-09-2009 01:07
Does anyone know of any knee pads that will survive in a welding environment and also will have some grip. Also I have purchase some knee pads I saw on the diy network and after 4 hours the clip broke off of the strap. They are called platinum knee pads that cost me $40 after shipping have anyone else used these should I get my money back or get another pair?
Parent - - By patg (**) Date 01-09-2009 02:28
i try not to get in enviroments that require knee pads
but lapco makes some good ones try tom waters online store they have a good selection of welding gear
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 01-09-2009 03:33
Lapco's are pretty good, Fresno oxygen also has a pair that are pretty good as well. I have the best luck with the kind that have a hard plastic guard on the front. The turn in a surface a lot easier than all the fancy rubber coated gel filled ones.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-09-2009 03:44
I use these, they aren't very comfy to walk around with but they hold up to arcs and sparks!
http://www.toolmarts.com/clc_309.html
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 01-09-2009 11:20
I bought some from home depot they were about 35 dollars or so and I like em alot. They have good cushion on the knee cap and the even support your shins some which really helps a ton. I never knew how important it is for a knee pad to cover just below the knee cap it really does give much more support to the knee.  I think this is them and there the gel http://www.amazon.com/Custom-LeatherCraft-G340-Professional-Kneepads/dp/B0000DYVAO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_8?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1231499981&sr=8-8
Parent - - By EVWELDER (**) Date 01-11-2009 05:38
Do they move around a lot only having one strap or does the top help them stay in place?
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 01-11-2009 05:52
they either move or you tighten them which is uncomfortable, I always just dropped them and then lowered onto them, not much good if do alot of walking and getting up/down.
If they would improve the way they sit on your knee, I'm sure they would sell alot more because of thier durability.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-09-2009 13:29
Ask your boss,GF,SI, or whoever, I'm sure they probably gets a few guys through there office with different kinds. lol ;-)
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-09-2009 15:09
Oh, "promotional dinner slippers"?
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 01-09-2009 16:50
Are those the new OSHA approved penny loafers boss?  lol  They sure look good on ya. uh huh uh huh
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 01-11-2009 13:41
I do a lot of cutting and welding on the ground and I dont wear any. I found they make a good spark catcher and that dont feel to good. I usualy jist put and old pair of welding gloves on the ground and neal on those if I am going to be there a while. A friend of mine that was a carpet layer use to have leather patches sowed on the knees of his jeans and that seemed to help a lot, might be a good option for welding allso.
  Tom
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-11-2009 15:23
We use kneepads that are covered with leather except for the hard plastic cap.  They have the elastic top strap and non-elastic lower strap and are made a bit wider than the ones you usually find in Home Depot.   I looked my pair over for a brand name but there wasn't any that I could find.  However, I'm sure if our welding supplier can find them, others can too.

I've also tried the foam pads that are sold for use as elbow or knee pads that are covered in a stretchy Ace bandage kind of material.  I use them underneath my pant legs for when I might only need to briefly crawl under something -not for hard use.

I used to not pay so much attention to padding for the knees but I'm getting older and I've seen too many folks mess up their knees from abuse.  And nothing gets your attention quicker that planting the knee cap squarely on top of a small, hard object.
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 01-11-2009 16:02
If you want good knee pads that fit right go to an old school boot repair shop or a saddle shop and have some made worth every penny they can fit them just for you. If you walk alot they can make them straight or vise versa if your on the ground more, they will last ten times longer than any store bought.
Parent - - By richgar06 (**) Date 04-18-2009 02:11 Edited 09-15-2010 05:09
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 04-18-2009 18:16
you can always go cheap, some of the 1" thick black insulation foam about 18" x 24" fold lenghwise and duck tape to suit. works really well actually and doen't cost a thing.
Parent - By Black Wolf (**) Date 04-19-2009 16:53
Sellstrom KneePro Ultraflex III work really well.

I can't help you with pricing though - my LWS sells them for just under $40.00 Cdn.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Knee pads