Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Electron Beam Standard?
- - By Scott Pearson Date 04-22-2009 22:17
I have an old drawing calling for an electron beam weld per AMS 2681.

I can not find AMS 2681 anywhere on the web, not even on the AMS International web site.

However, I do find the standard named AWS C7.1M/C7.1:2004, Recommended Practices for Electron Beam Welding.

Can anyone answer the following:

1. Does AMS 2681 still exist?

2. If so, where can I find it? (If not, when did it die?)

3. Did AWS C7.1M/C7.1:2004 replace AMS 2681?

Thanks!
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 04-22-2009 22:43
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-23-2009 03:55
It's good to hear from you Stephan.

I hope all is going well for you and your family.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 04-23-2009 08:41
Al,

good friend!

Thanks a lot for your kind words.

All is running well so far but - as you may imagine by the meanwhile length of my responses - little time in all what one's doing is always the main issue.

I've asked myself several times meanwhile where all the time remains that has been 'saved' by having all the tricky little things available nowadays, such as Emailing, Cell-phoning, automated welding...

I have come to the insight that it appears to be filled with activities targeted to save more time to have more time available to be filled with new activities to save more...

However, don't want to abuse this thread for personal 'philosophies' hence, I wish you and the yours very well my friend!
Stephan
Parent - - By Scott Pearson Date 04-23-2009 13:11
Stephan,

Thanks for the link. It was well-concealed from Google!<g>

Although I now have AMS2681 in my sights, do you know if AWS C7.1M/C7.1:2004 is (or is becoming) the dominant standard?

Cheers,
Scott
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-23-2009 13:21
It seems like if AWS was becoming the dominanat standard, IHS would have an obsolete/replaced/superceeded by note at the download site.  That is their standard practice.  However, if the preference is related to opinions and not mandates, then they would not have the note.
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 04-23-2009 13:39
Scott,

my pleasure.

I would tend to agree with OBEWAN.

As to be seen under: http://www.techstreet.com/cgi-bin/detail?product_id=1173889 - the AWS standard appears to be the equivalent ANSI standard for electron beam welding.

And as ANSI is member of the ISO it lies near to me that the AWS C7.1M/C7.1:2004 will either become or rather is already the dominant standard.

Finally however it may relate to the client which of both should be valid for accomplishing the actions.

At least in my humble understanding.

Best,
Stephan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-24-2009 11:45
I believe there is a fundamental difference between welding standards/specifications and AWS' recommended practices (AWS CXX series).

Recommended practices are intended to help people understand the principles of the process and some limited guidance on qualifying the procedures and the operators/welders, joint design (if applicable), etc. The standard or specification usually lays down the requirements of the specific project that must be met. It may include some options, but it essential tells the contractor what is required to meet the project's objectives. In some instances the standard or specification may reference a recommended practice, but that isn't the norm, instead the project specification will reference codes, standards, and specifications that apply that tend to be more specific.

The recommended practice is usually considered to be be best industry practices which are helpful in setting up the process, but it usually lacks definitive requirements that are typically found in a welding standard such as the AWS DXX series of standards or ASME B&PV code sections.

It only my opinion and everyone has one.

Best regards - Al 
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 04-24-2009 15:09
Al,

I guess to understand what you mean.

Thanks for this clarification!

This what you've explained, appears to me to be similar to the German procedures.

What's differentiated in the USA between AWS DXX (= standard series?) and AWS CXX (= recommended practices) seems to be comparable to Germany's called 'DVS-Merkblatt' (data sheet containing recommended practices and published by the German Welding Society DVS) and the 'DIN EN Standard's' (containing the requirements to be met when applying a particular process etc. and being published by the German Standardisation Organisation DIN).

Hope to having understood.

Always a honour to be allowed to learn from you.

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-24-2009 17:08
Stephan

"I know all that is known."
"I know all that was once known, but is now forgotten."
"I know all that will be known."

Chiun  Master of Sinanju
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 04-24-2009 22:45
Joseph,

and always a honour to be allowed to learn from you!

Stephan   Member of the American Welding Society
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Electron Beam Standard?