Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Where is all the rig work at?
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By jake steel (*) Date 04-25-2009 18:36
I am not really having a whole lot of luck with finding any work what so ever. I spent the last part of the year in a rig yard in Roosevelt, Utah building pump houses and suction lines and even guard rail. After the oil field died off i am having a pretty hard time finding anything at all. Has anybody heard of any Rig work at all? if so were?
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-26-2009 01:03
[deleted]
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 04-26-2009 05:25 Edited 04-26-2009 05:28
There are seven 30" spreads that are scheduled to kick off mid May, the 15th and the 18th, for a total of about 680 miles. Then there are four 42" spreads kicking off the same time, I don't have any idea how many miles involved there.
Several more 42" spreads coming later in the year.
That's on top of a fair amount of pipe already in progress.
Better be rested up if you work in mainline construction : )
I don't know anything about the drilling related or gathering system work, or lack of.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By okwelder82 (***) Date 04-26-2009 18:06
All of those spreads are 798 though right?
Parent - - By fordsux8269 (**) Date 04-26-2009 20:23
yes all those are 798 but there will be some laterals that are not
Parent - - By jake steel (*) Date 04-26-2009 20:50
well im not union, not that i have a problem with it, I actually do have a brode horizon of work skills, I worked in a fab shop for nine years on and off of a truck before i Rigged out a few years ago, its kind of funny i can drive through utah and see things i have built and worked on every where. I acually only have spent a small amount of time out in the oil fields, I liked it but its not going to be back up for a while. I am just a bit concerned with the fact of how many Rig trucks I have seen parked, I sure would like to see a refinerys or something or others popping up, or possibly some of this new energy who ha's weve all heard about. Instead of all this hit and miss were all dealing with now.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 04-26-2009 21:31
Yes they are 798 jobs, that's the nature of the business, 798 is still scheduling test's to take in welders, anyone with the required experience that can make the test is in.
There are a few smaller pipeline jobs that are non union, those contractors are trying (unsuccessfully so far) to get H2B visa's to bring in foriegn welders, helpers, laborers, operators and truck drivers on their work.
But the bottom line is that mainline work will be strong in the U.S. thru the next few years. I only know what I read about the drilling activity (and the resulting gathering system work) but the forecast is about one third of last years amount in the U.S. Just what I read so I really don't know.
Any time you have a boom, everybody and thier brother throws a welding machine in a truck to try and cash in. The result when things are slower is of course a welding rig for sale on every corner. This isn't anything new, it's happened many times before I was born and probably will happen many times more after I've left this world. It takes a little forethought and planning to survive (or thrive) when things are slow after a big year. Plus it helps to save a few bucks here and there when things are rolling, after all the energy sector is the most cyclical of all construction work.
The current administration is not refinery friendly, or friendly towards any oil/gas/coal energy source for that matter.

Good luck,

JTMcC.
Parent - - By jake steel (*) Date 04-27-2009 00:05
you have a very good point there seems like every 6 years or so we have a boom then a drop, and this will indeed weed out the week I just hope you and I are not part of them, what bothers me are the tub welders with the bobcat's and the ranger 250's in the back of a truck with the leads piled on top of the regulators on the bottles they have half a**ed in the back of their 1/2 ton pick up it angers me a few of my Rig friends get more offended than I, I say Rig it right or don't Rig it at all!, I have seen a few more of them than I think I should; as for putting money away thats the life of the Rig welder stay on the money while you can make friends and keep the gaps tight, I have a buddy who owns a welding fab shop we have worked together for years on and off, it has been a very low income slow year for a few of us. I would like to find a building to put up or some pipe or something to work on.
Parent - - By mechan (**) Date 04-27-2009 06:03
They need their equipment burned? What are they doing exactly that warrants for their equipment to be burned? Maybe I am missing your gripe with them, but you are pissed because they are showing up with cheaper equipment and doing the same job, is that about right? No one so far in this thread has come out and said anything about the actual work they are doing with their equipment and that being the gripe with them. Last time I looked paper mills, power houses, factories, etc all are doing pretty fine without ever worker showing up with one ton pick up with a custom bed and a welder bolted on the back of it. Just because YOU feel that is what is required to do the job doesn't really amount to much. I could possibly understand the anger towards them if they were crossing picket lines, scabbing out labor or illegals showing up to work, but complaining about a guy showing up with a truck that is not "out fitted" to your standards is just running off at the mouth. Isn't the non-union side of the house always thumping on the capitalism bible? So, you are angry because someone is showing up with less overhead into his truck, huh ... It must really burn your ass when you see collective bargaining agreements (CBA) that require the piper's to show up with only a 25' tape and a torpedo level. To each his own if their only fault is they haven't dropped thousands of dollars into a truck that isn't bringing them work right now then I really fail to see the issue.
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 04-27-2009 16:06
Amen mechan - Its just to my liking they way I have my tube rig set up where I can unload all in 10 minutes and use my truck for other things. Some of the rig guys just like to ride around and let everyone see what they have quality of the rig bed says nothing about the weld bead.
Parent - - By 250pipeliner (**) Date 04-28-2009 01:19 Edited 04-28-2009 01:22
there has been a discussion about this, look up "rigwelder rates". the problem with the riglets is that some not all are taking a step backwards as far as rates go. guys who do refinery work can probably get away with this for a while til the 1800rpm engine gives out. small welder doesnt tell the true story about the welder the finished product does. but if your gona be a riglet you must insist on the same rate or more as everyone else. it benefits no1 including the riglet to take a rate-cut. as far as mainline welding goes i wouldnt even try it. although on the last job i heard a guy pulled up in toyota(80's model) with sa200 sideways! didnt get to see it tho. he didnt last long. the reason 200's have been used on 3/4ton or more trucks is cuz its a very reliable outfit. i dont think that the guys who run these riglets weld 9 out 10hrs a day burning 3/16 6 or 7 days a week, that litle welder wouldnt make it. theres a place in the rig business for these riglets but they must insist on comprable wages and take no shorts!
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 04-28-2009 02:56
Not every one burns 3/16 there are other size wire and rods out there and not everyone welds pipe. I weld structural steel, steel stairway and railings have no problem burning 1/8 rods and .035 wire 10-12 hours day week end and week out the inspectors, architect and structural engineers are happy. Been doing it for years with no problems from my air cooled Millers. And how do you "insist on comprable wages and take no shorts!" bud is a free market world out there Welds can charge what every they want and if they don't profit they will be gone. Wouldn't that be price fixing if we all got together and charged the same rates?
Parent - By 250pipeliner (**) Date 04-28-2009 03:09
well let me be more specific. im a union welder so i guess i dont have to worry about taking shorts for now. we have a large collective bargaining that affords a rate that is suitable for making a decent living. i meant to say that welders shouldnt sell themselves for less money that what is the going rate, atleast for the non-union side. what you do is your business i dont try to impose opinion on you or anyone else its just what i think. but if you believe your work is worth less than what the normal rates are then by all means. i never said anything bad about these small welders, i even said there is a place for them in various industries. and there would be nothing wrong with fixing prices for our work its done all the time. banks fix a percentage of what they charge for a loan.
Parent - - By jake steel (*) Date 04-28-2009 04:19
I must appologize i did not mean to offend I started out at the bottom and no my family is not rich nor am I, I landed a gravy high paying welder job and had my classic 3 in the back of my short bed dodge when I began rigging out, then worked my way up, I have what I have because that is indeed how I want it to be I always wanted a rig truck 11 years of making low wages and living pay check to pay check was worth it for the knowlage what I'm mad about is, the "riglets" as i have seen them called well one has pretty well cut my throught on every job I had lined out, we're all in it to make friends and money I had no intentions of singling anyone out pointing a finger or burning anyones equiptment (unless they owe me money but what would that solve), all I was meaning is that im just upset about the $35 hr rate, charge the same keep the rate up, sorry I am not trying to make any enimies by any means,
Parent - By lonewolf658 (*) Date 04-29-2009 01:54
No offense intended  to any one,i'd give my eye teeth to be able to get a welderwhich all you guys have to use with ,but working  from paycheck topaycheck will only allow me to try getting a 250 ranger and be happy about it .But as well when time affords i will be looking to up grade as well.Starting out in this field is hard enough and the pay cuts as you guys  put it is probably casued the new guys  don't know any better or else they being told what the rate is from the company .When time allows  it also goes into a 1/2 truck cause its  all i got plus its paid for but my rates will be  based on what i see onhere as well.My 2 cents and before i start i'll hire on as a welders helper so i dont look tomuch like a fish out of water.
Parent - By okwelder82 (***) Date 04-27-2009 11:50 Edited 04-27-2009 11:55
There has been other posts about this but you have to start somewhere. Not everyone has the money to rig out a nice truck right out of the gate. Maybe you do jake steel but im one of those guys who started out with a tub rig and Miller Bobcat and have worked my way up, and Griffen, you must be one of those guys who started out with money and has a nice rig that you cant keep working. Maybe you should take a step back and take a look at the skills and not the equipment.
Parent - - By lonestarwelder7 (**) Date 04-27-2009 20:50
So this truck does nothing for ya?
(bet the  owner gets good gas mileage)*LOL
Attachment: weldingrig.jpg (0B)
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-28-2009 03:45
Shoot, I thought You were going to post the picture of a Subaru Brat with a ranger 8 in the back. Everybody brags about their shortened bed manuverability, don't they?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-29-2009 02:14
Hey  where did you get a pic of my truck ?
Parent - By lonestarwelder7 (**) Date 04-30-2009 01:31 Edited 05-01-2009 22:14
I took a pic of it when we was working with whats his name in hearne.....I really didnt think you would care..LOL

http://www.joeswelding.biz/
Parent - - By jetfuelbob (*) Date 04-30-2009 03:01
We have plenty of pipe work. I agree that folks that have built a rig in the parking lot of Motel 6 are a little scary, however six wheels
does not make you a good welder nor does a smaller machine make you a bad welder. In fact those little machines cost more than used
200's. I think the machine should match the work, pipelining can be demanding on equipment, if money was not a factor 200's, 250's and
300's are the way to go. But tank battery work, plant jobs and yard work can be done fine with the smaller machines. I started out with
a 1959 200, since have purchased another 200, small 250 w/chopper Tech. and a 250 diesel. All are good machines and have there place.
Remember the guys that built their rig at the motel are usually the first ones to have the rigs or riglets at the bank repo lot when the oilfield
has their boom hangover.
If your good at your trade and treat people fair, stand behind your work your phone will ring.
This reply is not an oposition to anything in this particular forum just my 2 cents added. 
Parent - - By 250pipeliner (**) Date 04-30-2009 03:10
this gets me by just fine
Parent - - By jetfuelbob (*) Date 04-30-2009 03:23
Is the cooling on your 250 affected by having the door off?
Parent - - By 250pipeliner (**) Date 04-30-2009 03:37
not really, i was in the desert last year. 110+ everyday for 2months not a problem never overheated. i tell this has been my most realible welder for the last ten years. my dad, brother, and cousin are pipeliners and have used it when their welders were down, and never want to give it back.
Parent - - By jetfuelbob (*) Date 04-30-2009 23:10
That Deutz engine just barely sips diesel fuel, been told just to make sure that around 2,500 hrs. have the timing belt replaced otherwise
if it goes unexpectedly you have big problems. I like my 250, did have the injector pump bypass hose that returns fuel to the tank fail on a
job in Rifle, CO last summer. Trip to NAPA fixed that.
Parent - - By 250pipeliner (**) Date 05-01-2009 04:15
ya had that replaced at 3800hrs. got lucky with that belt. i can burn rod all day 12hrs a day for 7 days on one tank. of course its alomst bone dry if i do. but i dont. the inly thing i dont like about this machine is the fuel tank, because of the water in the diesel the tank rusts easy and fast and i get a lot of debris in the fuel bowl. the fuel hoses and injection require constant cleaning
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-01-2009 04:34
Hello Ruben, if you're not already, use some fuel additives to help with the moisture issues. Aside from that, try to find a better source for your fuel, one that is cleaner and does a better job of providing a better grade of diesel. If you are using a secondary source for fuel such as a tank at your home location or one in your truck, see about getting a good water seperator/filter unit on it. Diesels and water/crud in your fuel spells TROUBLE with a capital "T". Forgive me if you're already well aware of this. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By 250pipeliner (**) Date 05-01-2009 04:43
i have, it was just somthing that started when i first bought the welder. i was working for an outfit that supplied diesel but it was red diesel and thats when the fuel tank started getin rusty. i havent had trouble with actual fuel injection system in years but the tank stiil flakes rust into the fuel bowl. hey but thanks i always appreciate advice even if its something i already know. its the effort that counts.
Parent - - By griffen (*) Date 04-27-2009 04:08
Those contractors need their equipment burned.
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 04-27-2009 04:16
HEY I GOT A TUB RIG !!! It's not just thrown together though here's a pic
Parent - - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 04-27-2009 05:09
i dont think thats wats hes sayin, but i understand completely
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 04-27-2009 13:32
I know Jake and can understand where he is coming from cutting rates is not a good idea rigged out or not one guy does it the company man finds out about it then he will want every one to drop rates. I think that if your rigged out right and carry all your right insurance you will always find work somewhere. He is just pissed off because all the hacks and the illegal **s hats are taking the work from his stomping grounds. But everyone already knows my opinion on that so I'll stop but as for work I'm trying to find you some and would recommend this guy to anyone anywhere good luck guys we need it.
Parent - By Jssec (**) Date 04-27-2009 16:07
Good looking rig and clean I like it.
Parent - - By griffen (*) Date 04-28-2009 01:34
Hey I'm not talking about tub rigs or bobcats. You got a good lookin truck. I'm talkin about contractors that bring in foreign workers to take our money. We have plenty of good unemployed welders to do the work here. I could go on about this but I would probably just piss myself off.  Plus I type to damn slow.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 04-28-2009 02:13 Edited 04-28-2009 02:19
That's what I thought you meant. They don't have much chance right now in my opinion. They can only apply every 6 months for the foriegn worker visa's. 798 has fought hard against it with good success in the past. And are fighting it hard right now. We got the foreign welders sent home a few years ago in the spool yard in TX. And every other time in the past.
There is the Homeland Security issue, plus the fact that a lot of American welders are currently out of work.
It's just plain stupid for legislators to allow low wage 3rd world workers to come on American soil and take jobs/income/livelyhood from American citizens/voters. So I really don't think they have a shot in todays economic climate. During boom times they stand a much better chance (and it's happened in our industry in the recent past).
If you don't know the address' of your federal representative's/senators you should. The same for your state rep's. They will respond to a large number of welders (or any other group) raising a legitimate stink over stupidity such as this. Contact them often and let them know what you think and what you believe in.

JTMcC.

on edit: Burning contractors equipment isn't the answer (tho I understand the sentiment, especially when a man is struggling to feed the kids and pay the bills), but contact with your elected representitives IS the answer. Do it now, do it often. That carries more horsepower than most people realize. The power of the pen baby, these idiots are scared to death of losing thier position of "power". Let em know all about it!
Parent - By griffen (*) Date 04-28-2009 02:24
Contacting state reps. sounds like a good idea.
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 04-28-2009 02:15
Amen to that we have enough of our own without work there is no need to give the work to foreign workers. Jake Steel along with myself and many others are probably going to loose out on a gravy train job 10 min from home to a bunch of ******** workers who don't care about there wages. And to add fuel to the fire the guy who is probably getting the job just did another job funded by the feds and didn't pay Davis Bacon wages wtf the word is that he is going to do 8' diameter pipe inside and out for 980.00 per joint tell me how else you can do that. On a good note Utah police and hp now have the right to cross deputize there officers to enforce imigration laws. 
Parent - - By 250pipeliner (**) Date 04-28-2009 02:43
were you tryn to spell out wet backs? if so theres no need for that!
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 04-28-2009 03:25
No sir and no disrespect one of my best friends is mexican I just want every one to play by the rules it cost a certain amount to live and there is one sure fire way to increase your income don't pay taxes because your not a citizen. I was talking to lady the other day who has been a stay at home mom for years the state contacted her and ask why she didn't pay her income taxes turns out an illegal had got her ssn and used it to get a job as a maid. Now I don't care what race color or creed you are but if you lie in my country your not welcome in my country besides I would rather deport the guys that hire illegal workers more than the workers thats a quick means to an end. The asterisk were to symbolize the whole spectrum of illegal workers if you want to call me a racist thats fine but thats one thing I am not. Also if you want to attack me directly send me a pm if you have a comment on where the rig work has gone post it up good luck out there.
Parent - By 250pipeliner (**) Date 04-28-2009 04:25
no i dont want to call you a racist and i appreciate your honesty as i am a mexican/american. i am proud of my heritage but am very proud to be an American. and i do underastand what you are saying about illegal aliens. but in terms of them being a problem it will never be resolved in a manner suitable to everyone. in some respect the work force that they are is a nescesary evil, in others the are just evil. the best we can is elevate our work skill, unite under a common banner, and lobby against these companies that try to under mind us as a homegrown workforce. im a union rigwelder i know its gonna pick-up by summer, and i know that a lot local are gonna be organizing a lot of welders to try and keep up the demand.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 04-27-2009 14:25
To be clear, Willbros is the contractor that's applied for the foriegn worker visa's in several states.
I can't see it happening with the current economy and number of American welders not working right now but they still try.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By rig welder6 (**) Date 04-28-2009 04:06
The thing that makes me mad here on the ws col is the guys that were working during the boom and had work cause there was more work than welders.  Now they dont have work cause they did poor quality and took way too long, would show up late if al all. And now there is less work and a bunch of welders, so they went and dropped rates $15-$25 hr.  I have rigs that are very loyal to me and that is keeping me busy right now. And i have one ? is there a law that only certain rig trucks have to have DOT #s or are all required to have them?
Parent - - By 250pipeliner (**) Date 04-28-2009 04:28
trucks that are 1ton pick-ups with flat beds weighing over 10000lbs (i think) are required to register for DOT. this is true for pipwline welders cuz pipeline jobs are DOT controlled
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-28-2009 04:58
i know alot of rig welders that are pipeliners nad have never seen 1 with dot numbers on the trucks
Parent - - By ruero (**) Date 04-28-2009 05:15
rig welder6
As far as I was told it is anything 10,000gvw and over, that is what the Rio Blanco Sheriff that pulled me over last summer told me. He said that any truck 10,000 and over even if all you have is just a tool box and are doing work you should have a DOT# It is a gray area I believe. He did a roadside inspection of my truck and gave me a warning for not having 3 triangle road hazard signs and a DOT#. I asked him how long I had to get one and there was no time frame, he just said if I were to get stopped 6mos down the road I might get hassled, did not make no sence to me.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-28-2009 05:38
My cousin had an Iveco 16' box truck. The registered GVW was #9,990 just to fall below this requirement.
Parent - - By 250pipeliner (**) Date 04-28-2009 07:12
there was talk that DOT was gonna lower their requirments to include tub rigs too. that any welder working pipeline was required to have DOT tags. i hope not its a lot of hassle and xtra money.
Parent - - By vantage500man (**) Date 04-28-2009 12:33
I got pulled over a week ago. The weight master state police here in MI, told me I had to have a dot # and a medical card and had to have a (log book) filed out each time I got behind the wheel. She had me pulled over for over an hour and looked my rig over with a microscope. All I had to do with the rig was add a light to my license plate other then that I was good to go so I got the DOT# and the med cardat the cost of $125.00... I already had my class 2 license so I was good to go there.... My truck is a 5500.... The stealer-ship told me I did not have to have any of these things.... I told the cop that, I was told that we are the ones who make the rules not the stealer-ship you should of called us!!!
Attachment: DSCF0001.JPG (0B)
Parent - - By Joe Davidson (**) Date 04-28-2009 13:04
I asked this question to a DOT enforcement officer yesterday. He said anything with a GVWR of 10,001 and up that is used for commercial use is required to have DOT # and medical card. Also have to have truck inspections, safety triangles (no flares if you carry bottles), fire extinguisher, etc. If you go out of state you are suppose to have a log book. One thing to remember is the GVWR is on the sticker on the drivers side door jam, not what is on the license plate. Something else everyone should know is, if you pull a trailer with a truck that falls under DOT regs, your combined GVWR (from doorjam and on tongue of trailer) can't be over 26,000lbs. If it is you are required to have at least a chauffers license. Had a buddy get busted for this and he lost his license for 3 months over it. I also must point out the rules and regulations are enforced differently from state to state and officer to officer. I have pulled over and had two officers argue about what the law says and they never could agree. This is why I run an old 1989 f-350, the GVWR is 10,000 and I don't have to deal with all this.
Parent - - By EMWelding (*) Date 04-28-2009 14:22
my GVWR IS 26,000 and i have had no problem with D.O.T. Maybe just luck i dont know. maybe things are different from state to state.
Attachment: weldtruck1.bmp (352k)
Attachment: weldtruck2.bmp (0B)
Attachment: weldtruck3.bmp (446k)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Where is all the rig work at?
1 2 Previous Next