Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fluxcore Pipe Cert. help
- - By nitwhit0921 (*) Date 04-30-2009 13:44
I finally got my stick cert yesterday so Im gonna start my flux core today. 6g.  6"-8" pipe.  .218wall.  .045 wire. 

I have to have an open root..no backing strip.  What gap/land should I run?  How should I start off setting my machine? 

I havent really ran fluxcore all that much so I just need a good basis to run with. 
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-30-2009 14:57
If you are running 6G FCAW with an open root there must be a welding procedure specification.

You haven't told us if your even running gas shielded or self shielded FCAW so helping with machine settings is impossible.

Are you in school?...... If yes.. What instructions did you get from your instructor about this project?...  Tell us about those and then you can get further tips.

Prolly save alot of money practicing on plate first... It's alot easier to bevel
Parent - - By nitwhit0921 (*) Date 05-01-2009 14:20
Its gas shield.  Yea Im in school...about 2 weeks left.  The instructors said to try 3/32. gap and land.  Im doin pipe because it covers both.  I dont have that much time left and I wanna get this knocked out. 
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-01-2009 14:34
Gas shielded FCAW on open root pipe is not really an entry level task... It's pretty difficult...  Ok  I hear it's pretty difficult.. I've never even attempted it.

Most fabricators will be plenty impressed with an unlimited thickness D1.1 all position (3G & 4G) FCAW plate cert.

Maybe some of the other pipe experts will have some advice on how to guide you on this one.
Parent - - By nitwhit0921 (*) Date 05-02-2009 03:13
I played with it today...a lot.  I got 1/8 land.  3/32 gap.  21.7v  325wire speed.  It actually went in halfway decent.  My gap wasnt 100% consistent(beveling machine messed up one piece so I had to finish it with a grinder).  Im gonna get some more nipples cut out monday and take off on it. 

The instructor has his on pipe but couldnt remember what his was set at.  I want to be a pipe welder...so naturally I would like to be able to do everything on pipe...
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 05-03-2009 00:26
never heard of root pass with flux core on open butt pipe. seen it done on TKY joints
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fluxcore Pipe Cert. help