Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / xray shadow
- - By TRC (***) Date 05-07-2009 16:36
In the downhill SMAW, RT arena what causes a shadow on the root?
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-07-2009 16:56
Same as if you hold your hand between a flashlight and a wall. The shadow is the same in principle.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-07-2009 16:57
Could you please explain that in detail?
( :) )

Parent - By hogan (****) Date 05-07-2009 17:56
Sure. Get a flashlight, and go into a dark room. Turn on flashlight and hold your hand between the light and the wall. Hold your hand no more than 1/2 a meter away from wall. Look at the shadow. Now without moving your hand move the flashlight horizontally. You will see that the shadow become distorted and exaggerated.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 05-07-2009 17:02 Edited 05-07-2009 17:21
Thanks Hogan, how can the shadow be differentiated from an indication like LOF? Will a stout bead contribute to a shadow? Will the location of the colunator in relation to the bead contribute to a shadow?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 05-07-2009 17:36
The thicker the root cap the more potential you have for the source to be offset and exaggerate the shadow. More cap = less density on the film. LOF = more density on the film. Both show as contrast differences. The more material, the less radiation get gets to the film. With less material the film gets more exposure. Hope this helps and I'm reading your question correctly.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-07-2009 22:36 Edited 05-07-2009 22:43
[deleted]
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-09-2009 02:39
The term you're looking for is mock banding. Typically seen on DM welds, Heavy thickness transitions, and in same material classes, cast vs forged vs rolled etc. Anything and everything that can give one side of the weld either more material or a different material density than the other.

The difference in transmitted density between one side or the other (light to dark/dark to light) can, under the right circumstances, make a line appear where there is no line on the radiograph. As for the method of detecting it, simply sliding the film as you describe can work, however; it must be done from dark to light, and not the other way around.
The reason for that is this: If you're moving from the light side, and there is an area of LOF, The transmitted light through the light section is obviously transmitting more light, and runs the risk of masking a true indication by reflected light. In my time shooting pipeline film, I've seen that trick tried more than once. I always call BS on it. If the person trying it, tries to go from the wrong side of it right off, I know one of two things are going on 1) they don't have a clue and read somewhere such as this forum about this and are trying to make it go away, or 2) they are acting nefariously and trying to get past something that should not be.

If they do it correctly, no problem. On the other hand, it does speak to a bigger issue. There is one too many people out there trying to pass off things that should not be.
While LOF on thin walled pipe (most gas lines etc) is not likely, it is "not hard" to accomplish. There is no welding process immune to lack of fusion. Especially SMAW. To fast, downhill, Magnetic arc blow, just to name a few reasons it can appear in an SMAW weld.

The next bright idea I've seen used (everything from pressure vessles to tanks to pipelines) is to "Hog" out an indication. Then claim "I never saw anything". Funny how it's there before, but not after, yet "they never saw anything". LOF by it's nature is usually not a gross change in material density (lack of or replacement of the material) but rather a very fine line of it. A good welder can "skim the weld" and see it, one who is trying to disprove the tech will "hog" out a chunk of metal then call BS.

I am the first to slam an RT tech who doesn't know what he or she is looking at. However; This statement is out of line in my opinion:
"Any time a tech calls LOF on SMAW call the Level III. It may be IP but it is NOT LOF. These guys are used to seeing LH, GTAW and GMAW welds. Scream BUNK to the Level III. If these guys cannot call something what it is they need to be gone."

Making that statement based only on a description in a forum, is simply wrong. Without having personally looked at the film, neither you nor I can make a statement like that with any factual basis. You may as well have stated "non of those idiots know what they are looking at" when taken in total context of your apparent opinion of film interpreters.

Usually when I run across the attitude you presented here, I would offer to grind it out myself as I don't play "hide the weenie in the RT tech when we screw up" like some try to do as described above. If it's ever not there, I'd run myself off. I've never once had to do that, and I am not alone, there are many good interpreters out there, that don't deserve to have the attitude presented here perpetuated.

In regards to "power plant dudes" an indication is an indication, and doesn't make a damn what industry it's in. If anything, Power plants are prone to the material transitions I.E. thick to thin, or DM welds and personnel who normally work them, would be more likely to have seen mock banding on a more regular basis than someone who has done nothing but shoot same same Thickness pipeline. I've had the good fortune to work many industries extensively,and trained by some of the best, including pipeline. I've seen LOF and proved it many times on a pipeline.
It gets really really really tiresome to be questioned each and everytime a call is made only to have been proved correct upon "proper" excavation. After the first two to three times of this, they shut up, get the grinders out and quit wasting time trying to argue a legitimate call.

Again, if it's the case that the rt hand just doesn't have a clue, it would not be anyone else giving them the boot, I'd make a point of doing it myself if I were the level III. (and I have been many times on a pipeline)
Another factor to consider in this:
Many times companies try to go cheap on the examinations. Therein is where the vaste majority of the problem really lies. They hire dirt bag source license holder company A, who either lies or barely gets them past the state/irrsp card, then throws them out on the firing line for 8-15 dollars an hour (if that) and expect a 30 to 50 dollar an hour performance. Bottom line is this, RT hands are no different than welding hands. Pay peanuts and you get a bunch of monkeys. That is in my opinion, the real problem, and the real reason the smaller runs end up with BS welding and RT interpretations.

Maybe they did screw it up, maybe they didn't, on way or another, there is no way anyone can arm chair read that film from a computer on a forum and state with any certainty it was hosed.

Respectfully,
Gerald
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-09-2009 03:01
[deleted]
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-09-2009 03:56
API 1104 20th edition:

3 Definition of Terms
3.1 GENERAL
The welding terms used in this standard are as defined in
AWS A3.0, with the additions and modifications given in 3.2.
(no modification for LOF/IF given)

AWS A3.0
"lack of fusion. A. nonstandard term for incomplete fusion.

complete fusion. Fusion over the entire fusion faces and between all adjoining weld beads. See figure 28. See also incomplete fusion

incomplete fusion (IF). A weld discontinuity in which fusion did not occur between weld metal and fusion faces or adjoining weld beads. See Figure 29. See also complete fusion.

incomplete joint penetration (IJP). A joint root condition in a groove weld in which weld metal does not extend through the joint thickness. See Figure 26. See also complete joint penetration weld, joint penetration, and partial joint penetration.

complete joint penetration (CJP). A groove weld condition in which weld metal extends through the joint thickness.

joint. the junction of members or the edges of members that are to be joined or have been joined. "

BY definition as reference in API 1104 20th edition:2005, and the follow up reference in AWS 3.0:2001 I have to say Wrong, it is IF.
If both walls are not broken down as depicted in Figure 26 of AWS 3.0, it is lack of penetration.
(speaking strictly by definition based on your words.)(

It must always be remembered what definitions are in force. Running someone off the job for applying the proper definition can get someone in a lot of trouble when the auditors come along. What someones opinion of what it should be means "0" what the definition in the governing codes, laws, and contract docs states is what everyone must go by. There are codes that define it as you have described. However; as noted above, they do not apply in this instance.

Respectfully,
Gerald
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-09-2009 03:24
Gerald,
Well written, couldn't agree more.
I have worked on pipelines as a pipeline welder (both bead hand and tie-ins), radiographer and CWI so feel I am qualified to add to this discussion.
I realise dbigkahunna and JT have obviously got a huge amount of pipeline experience but I disagreed as well with some statements.

"Any time a tech calls LOF on SMAW call the Level III. It may be IP but it is NOT LOF. These guys are used to seeing LH, GTAW and GMAW welds. Scream BUNK to the Level III. If these guys cannot call something what it is they need to be gone."

Fig 16 of API 1104 shows Incomplete Fusion at Root of Bead or top of joint (IF). Incomplete Fusion is also referred to as Lack of Fusion (LOF).This is one edge missed with no High Low present. I have seen numerous radiographs over the years with one edge missed, some with Hi Low (which is classed as IPD) and others without Hi Low which is classed as IF or LOF.
That is just LOF on the surface.
Figure 17 shows Incomplete Fusion due to Cold Lap. This is sometimes referred to as Lack of Sidewall Fusion of Lack of Inter run Fusion but both cases are still Incomplete Fusion or Lack of Fusion. Slag inclusions are basically the same as Lack of Fusion anyway, the metal has not fused because the slag is entrapped. On a graph they look very similar, sometimes you can identify a straight edge which is the unmelted sidewall, othertimes they look basically the same.
API 1104 9.3.5 and 9.3.8.2 stipulate that the maximum individual dimension for both IFD and ESI is 2" (50 mm) so if the interpreter calls it slag inclusion or lack of fusion it is still a rejectable defect if it is greater than 2" (50 mm).
As Gerald has stated radiographers are no different to welders, some are good, some are very good and some are not so good. Generally you get what you pay for.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-09-2009 03:59
Funny how the API 1104 figures match up to the AWS 3.0 definitions.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-09-2009 16:12
In my experience, every time "shadow" comes up it's a situation where there isn't a clear cut consensus about the film. And much discussion, sometimes argueing amongst the film readers takes place while welders stand around. So it's not a great situation. And if one tech thinks it's a shadow instead of a legitimate repair, that's kind of important because you don't want to tag a welder with a repair that isn't there. It might be simpler to just make the repair regardless, but a welders livelyhood may be at stake and I hate to see a guy get credit for a repair that's not really a repair.
I've made a lot of repairs where I never saw the problem, that doesn't mean it wasn't there. Maybe my helper did most of the grinding, maybe we're just moving down the row stopping at flags and getting them done quick so we can go in. Repair welders (who do the majority of PL repairs) don't have any reason to argue with inspection normally, it's not their welds they are repairing.
But even then, the repair welder doesn't want a hand tagged for a "shadow".
I've see the film reader dude argue with the film auditor dude over "repair vs. shadow" in one case. The gas company NDT man (who was calling it external undercut) stopped at the repair and like me he couldn't see any EU. The welders had made a nice cap without a hint of undercut or missed bevel. But I got the old line "film doesn't lie", make the repair. So after he left I buffed the weld with a wire wheel and they reshot it, clean as a whistle. I had to tell NDT dude what happened just in defense of the welder even tho this put me on NDT dudes hit list. Anyway he finally agreed with the "shadow" side of the discussion.
In the overall scheme of things not a big deal but to the welder who put a nice cap on that weld it mattered.

JTMcC.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-09-2009 16:47
JT,
Agree with what you are saying. Repair rates have a huge impact on a welders livelihood.
A bad call is a bad call but all film interpreters (myself included) do our best to call it as we see it.
There are always going to be "bad" calls, no matter how experienced you are. If you could visual the root and cap after you have looked at a film it would be ideal but unfortunately that is nigh on impossible, especially with pipelining where there is not too many flange connections.

dbigkahunna,
You seem to have been having a problem with RT Level 2s recently.
Do you have similar or superior RT qualifications to the people you are denigrating on a public forum ?
Just because they make a call that you do not agree with does not justify you wanting to shove them up a pipe head first.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 05-07-2009 18:11
A dark area along the root (if thats what u r calling a shadow)could be a number of things.
1 incomplete pentitration(long dark area at the root with well defined edges)
2 Slag inclusions (irregular dark area)
3 Slugging ( weld rods place in the weld groove)
I would say a good desription of the "shadow" is needed.

dark areas on film are less dense and light areas are more dense.
Hope this helps
MDK
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-07-2009 22:45
Shadow looks like undercut. Its darker. Metal gone, right?
Cut it out and there is nothing there. Do the film slide and if you don't trust it, take anothe shot with a repositioned shutter.
BABRT's
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 05-08-2009 01:13 Edited 05-08-2009 02:38
Paul Harvey time. API5L, X42, 12".250 wall to .375 wall W/N flanges and .375 wall 90's/45's. Everything transitioned to .250. 1/16 space and land, 1/8 5P+ root. Bead looks very nice wth no indictions including no internal U/C. Beads stand out at least 1/16 especially on top half. First rejected call was LOF for about 6". Because I welded the joint I could see as I was welding the root that both egdes burned off. Also grind out root until wagon tracks are not possible followed by a 5/32 HOT pass. Reached up inside fitting with grinder and ground bead down almost flush- LOF gone! Second call same thing, this time it was OK after level II told Level III (who's not on jobsite) that the bead looked tied-in on both sides.  Level II and level III are power plant dudes and have little pipeline experience.  Do ya feel the frustation building? Thanks for your excellent help- Ted
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-08-2009 23:49
[deleted]
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 05-09-2009 00:10
Thanks for the support BK- and this too shall pass- Ted
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-09-2009 02:02
I feel your pain.

I've been in "shadow world", but only to visit, don't wanna live there ; )

JTMcC.
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 05-09-2009 11:30 Edited 05-09-2009 11:56
WOW!!!! Thank you all for taking the time to give such indepth responses. I have the one weld in my truck. It was cut out because the flanges were supposed to be class 300 and 150's were used. I'm going to do some slicing and dicing on the weld to take a deeper look. This may take a few days but I'll try to get it done and report back. Also my camera took a dump and is not working so picks may not happen.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-07-2009 18:32 Edited 05-07-2009 18:37
Below is a graphic of the various shadow effects possible in RT. There are three primary forms of a shadow which are in graphic two.
Where and through what the radiation passes in respect to the part/material being inspected and from what source determines the final image.

I do not have enough information from you to give you a more definitive answer, but in general, shadows at the root, could be from the other wall of the pipe, the root itself folding over, and a host of other potential causes.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 05-09-2009 19:31 Edited 05-09-2009 19:36

This is a great discussion so far.  I will have to agree that not having an eye on the actual film is a big disadvantage here.  One thing that has not been mentioned so far, and may occur more often in a pipeline situation, is some degree of high-low.  Ignoring the incomplete penetration, as well as the extreme example of the high-low condition in the above radiograph, you can see that misalignment can also cause a shadow-like image on the film.

If we are talking gamma radiography, I would agree that the positioning of the collimator port can have an effect on the resulting image.  The drawings of the shadowing examples that CWI555 posted, do in fact explain the theory of geometrical unsharpness.......however, when radiographing thin wall piping welds,  the object to film distance is much shorter than the ones used in the examples.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 05-12-2009 03:50
Basically, it is a form of forward scatter. The higher and/or sharper the root, the more shadow you will see on the film. Grind the root and it will go away.
Some people don't believe in root shadows, but I do.

Not to be confused with Root LOF.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 05-12-2009 22:16
In all honesty I don't like the term shadow.......as some folks (including some radiographers) confuse a shadow as it relates to photography, to a shadow as it may relate to radiography.   I'm more comfortable using terms like unsharpness or density, and the impact they may have on the image under evaluation.

Just curious NDT III, what's your opinion of "root shadows" in an elliptical exposure?

~thirdeye~
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 05-15-2009 03:54 Edited 05-15-2009 03:56
Same opinion. It depends on the shape of the root and the direction of radiation. However, I would have to see each one for myself to make a determination. That's like someone describing a UT indication to you and asking you to evaluate it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / xray shadow