Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SSNs on welder certs
- - By thcqci (***) Date 06-05-2003 20:27
SSNs have long been recorded on welder certs as a positive, unique ID for welders both in the shop and in the field. With the increase in ID theft, many welders are increasingly reluctant to have SSNs distributed via certs and submittal documents. What other form of ID is commonly used and widely accepted as unique and positive?
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-05-2003 20:54
Our company switched over to using a 6 digit employee ID number instead of the SSN. Of course, they also have their 4 digit welder ID numbers.
Our test shop manager recently went to using the last 4 digits of the SSN combined with the person's initials for people who come in for testing but are not yet employed by us. If they are hired, the employee ID number is added to the records later.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-05-2003 22:07
Why not just a unique ID number. Each company is responsible for tracking them. Most employees have an employee number.

As long as there are no duplicates, it doesn't matter. It sure would be a pain to have to stencil my entire SS Number on a weld. The last four may seem like a good idea but it is possible for people to have the same last four digits.

When I was in the Navy, each command supplied a welder ID. The 1st letter of my last name and then a sequence Number . I was A-9-W. The next guy was A-10 if his last name started with A.

Good day
G Austin
Parent - By Slagindaboot (*) Date 06-24-2003 16:30
Embarrasing situations can arise when least expected. At one job some years ago I was assigned the stamp number of P558. So I went to the crib to pick up some gear and the stamps. When I told the attendant what I needed he handed me a P, a 5 and an 8. I looked him straight in the eyes and asked where's my other 5. He thought I was kiddin.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SSNs on welder certs