Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Wire Rope Loose at Main Hoist drum
- - By maxilimiano (**) Date 05-13-2009 00:46
Dear All
I have pedestal Crane SWL 13.6 tons on Platform. 4 Part line Main hook block (weight 200 kg)
My wire rope Crane has been loosed from drum, and made very complicated arrangement. Some worker said about it caused:
They are said it caused by wire rope at hook blok has been spinned, but the operator still lower the hook.

I am still confused until now. Because there is part of rope has been squeezed betwen flange and boom cord.

I don't know what is the first.... Loosed on load drum caused by spinned 4 part line hook block or Spinned 4 part line at hook blok make loosed roll at main hoist line drum

Could you give me your theory about that?

Thanks

Regards
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 05-13-2009 02:50
it coud be time to call for maintenance service :)
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 05-13-2009 10:15
I'm sorry!  I see real danger here!  Do you have a crane operator's license????   Just reading this post raises IQ questions, not technical issues...

I hope there is just an English translation issue here!
Parent - By maxilimiano (**) Date 05-13-2009 10:43
I am sorry...my english is not good.

I am an Inspector of crane. I need to know something wrong about this condition.
May be some one can analize and asses this problem.

Thanks
Regard
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-13-2009 11:35
maxilimiano,

I think I know what your asking, and if it is as I think, it's a serious issue. I suggest you post it in your native language as there are many here who could probably better understand what it is your asking that way.

En cuanto a una teoría, tenga cuidado con tratando de realizar un análisis de las causas. Inspectores que desviarse hacia ese territorio generalmente terminan en problemas. 
De nuevo, intentar enviar en idioma nativo.

saludos,
Gerald
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-13-2009 19:24
What you're talking about is a problem regarding a crane wire rope lashed into the crane drum. Unless someone in this Forum is experienced  about it and is able to answer it, my suggestion is to call the crane manufacturer or a qualified crane service firm to solve your problem.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brasil

PS. If your mother language is Portuguese, then I suggest you to read the "Manual de cabos de aço" published by the firm of CIMAF, a very good one by the way, to start understanting what a wire rope is and how it is used.       
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 05-14-2009 08:33 Edited 05-14-2009 08:41
Prof Crisi, I guess maxilimiano is an Indonesian, maybe he can speak Dutch instead of Spanish.

maxilimiano, Crane accidents occurred even though it was operating within the safe working load. According to magazine I read, the cause may be due to fatigue stresses as a result of prolonged years of service.

If this is a statutory inspection, you may engage those competent person (PE) approved by your Government to prepare the methodology and assessment to be employed. Including testing and inspection to be performed to address the potential fatigue stresses experienced by the crane.

Regards
Joey
Parent - By moose (*) Date 05-14-2009 09:45
Maxilimiano,
  I am a production manager at Tiffin Loader Crane a subsiderey of the Palfinger North America Group. If you would like you can contact our service department for some help and opinions on what might be wrong and how to solve your problem.
Our number here is 419-937-2100 and ask for Matt Drosky. I will get you set up with someone in service.
It does sound like you wire rope has lived its life and may need replaced, but there may be more involved than just that.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-14-2009 14:12
Joey,
well, Maximiliano sounds like a Spanish or Portuguese name rather than Dutch, that's why Gerald's answer is partly in Spanish.
Tell me, what's the name of the magazine on cranes you read and who's the publisher? I'll have Mackenzie U. library subscribe it.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 05-15-2009 01:24
Prof Crisi,

It was a guess. I've worked in Jakarta for inspection of tower crane elements. that was more than ten years ago.
can't remember the name of the magazine, Anyway, you can try the International Crane magazine:) 

what a nice day, weekend is coming, can't wait to see the horse racing derby on Sunday.

Regards
Joey
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Wire Rope Loose at Main Hoist drum