Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Phased Arrayed UT in Lieu of RT
- - By comcam6 (*) Date 04-25-2009 06:12
In our project it is suggested to substitute RT with PAUT because of 2 reasons:
1-Rt test is hazardous to the cars traffic and as a result we close the roads beside the site while testing operation,
2- It is time consuming and takes several hours a day and cause stoppage of all activities in the site.
As PAUT is a new method that I have not work with, before; please let me know if there is any code regarding possibility of replacement the two mentioned systems.  
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 04-25-2009 07:21
Can you give us information about diameter and thickness of the object?

Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-25-2009 15:47
From the ASME code case 2235-9:

note 1

1 Sectorial scans (S-scans) with phased arrays may be used for the
examination of welds, provided they are demonstrated satisfactorily in
accordance with para. (c). S-scans provide a fan beam from a single
emission point, which covers part or all of the weld, depending on
transducer size, joint geometry, and section thickness. While S-scans
can demonstrate good detectability from side drilled holes, because
they are omnidirectional reflectors, the beams can be misoriented for
planar reflectors (e.g., lack of fusion and cracks). This is particularly
true for thicker sections, and it is recommended that multiple linear
passes with S-scans be utilized for components greater than 1 in.
(25 mm) thick. An adequate number of flaws should be used in the
demonstration block to ensure detectability for the entire weld volume

While that is primarily for section I/Section VIII etc, the warning is still applicable.
I do agree with UT however; PAUT is very very operator skill dependent for all systems I've seen to date. A good operator and a bad one both can make it lie either by ineptitude, or by design.
On the other hand;
When used properly, by properly trained and experience technicians, it is by far better than RT.

If your work is a pipeline, I would suggest TOFD AUT rather than PAUT as it's been around longer, and has more experienced operators/companies available.

There are other options for RT as well, CR radiography can usually be performed with boundaries reduced by at least 1/2 when using selenium.

Tell us what the specifics of your project are, and we can give you a more specific answer.
Parent - - By Richman (**) Date 04-26-2009 09:24 Edited 04-26-2009 09:45
If you have B31.1 interpretation number 29 case 168 you will read there the use of UT examination in lieu of RT for B31.1 application. Approval date:June 1997. It stated there the Inquiry and the responds of the committee and the following requirements to be met.

I hope it will help to your query.
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 05-01-2009 16:05
You can also look at B31 case 181 for B31.3 applicatons.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-03-2009 09:26
I believe 181 was incorporated into 2235-9.  There is a standards action within B31.3 that permits UT in lieu of RT and also adds criteria to the acceptance table.  It's passed B31.3 Committee and is now with B31 for voting.  It's much more user friendly than the code case.
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 05-12-2009 03:44
Yes and B31 Case 181 does not have the thickness limitations that are found in 2235-9.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 05-05-2009 18:42
What kind of project, and what code are you working to?

We recently allowed this substitution, sort of, but we didn't do it by code, we did it by demonstration and acceptance.  We had them do RT, UT, and PA and compared the results, and when we were satisfied that they could at least tell whether or not there was a discontinuity, we allowed them to use PA (with UT to supplement for transverse flaws because this particular PA equipment could only scan normal to the weld) to tell whether the weld was clean.  If they found something, though, we made them go back to RT and conventional UT to evaluate the flaw.

Hg
Parent - By DAYANARA (**) Date 05-16-2009 16:19
In AWS D1.1 Part G.
May be used as an alternative to other methods outlined in Parts D, E or F.
6.36 AUT for example TOFD and PA in lieu RT.

Best Regardss.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-16-2009 18:26
I've been following this thread with interest, and note some people are playing with the rating system. For a thread of this nature, I believe it is more harmful than good to allow that.

The question you asked deserves a more professional response than someone playing games with the ratings. If I were in your shoes, I'd be concerned in regards to the validity of the responses based on the ratings.

Your concerns are realistic in regards to radiography. Everyone who has posted as of the date and time of this post, have posted valid questions/comments.

3.2 asked about your thickness and diameter. To thin, or sockets (you've not specified what your project is requiring) and you've got to go with something different.
Richman has posted info on an interpretation for B31.1
The same for NDTIII, and jon2003.

All of those post are valid.

Dayanora posted info for structural concerns.

Over all, I see no post that warranted a rating of 1, or a 2.
This faceless ratings has gone on long enough. It either needs to be stripped in it's entirety, or require the person rating it to be recorded for all to see.
I don't always agree with this one or that one, but to slam them anonymously via posting a low rating for no other reason than attitude is simply wrong.

My opinion for what it's worth,
Gerald
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 05-16-2009 21:46
Until you mentioned it, I really had not paid attention to the rating feature.  I wonder if we get a prize for the highest rating?
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-16-2009 22:41
No prize, and no real reason I can see for the system in my opinion.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-17-2009 06:14
I doubt that even I cant go below a rating of 1 :)

I have said it before, let a panel of "experts" give the ratings in the different categorys.
Some times the OP deserves to see how the answers actually are worth something.

Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 05-18-2009 20:38
Everyone needs to chill the hell out about the rating system.  It means exactly as much as those stickers your teacher might have put on your homework paper when you were in 1st grade.  No more than that.

MOST posts aren't rated at all.  Does that mean they're all worth 0?  No, it means no one was overwhelmed enough to give them a little gold star.  Big deal.

If you're seeing one-star ratings, it means someone felt like putting a little gold star sticker on the post.  It's better than the default of no gold stars.  It means someone liked it more than most posts, just not as much as they might have liked a two-star post or a three-star post.  It's probably not because someone thought the post was only worth one on a scale of one to three.  If you see three-star ratings, it means someone felt like giving them THREE gold star stickers.  Ooh, so big a difference from the one star.

Take a chill pill, then go to Walmart and buy yourselves a packet of foil star stickers and stick them all over everything.  It's fun.

Hg
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Phased Arrayed UT in Lieu of RT