Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT thickness only
- - By TRC (***) Date 05-20-2009 21:55
The gas company wants us to start verifying wall thickness and check for laminations prior to welding hot taps. Can anyone suggest a thickness only UT machine, of course they will want to spend the least amount possible- thanks- Ted
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 05-21-2009 03:47
Ted,

A lot of my oil & gas customers are buying ones from Dakota Ultrasonics.  They have a bunch of models and the ones I have seen have aluminum cases, a nice display, take AA batteries (a must for field jobs) and have a long warranty.  Prices start around $1000.  Depending on the size of the area you are scanning, you might consider one with high speed scanning.

http://www.dakotainst.com/index.html

Try to squeeze a case into the budget too.  I like the ones made for pistols, and sold at all sporting goods stores.  They have the pick-out foam and will keep dust and moisture out. Get one big enough for some couplant and spare batteries.

~thirdeye~

Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 05-21-2009 05:19
Just make sure it has an A scan display. You don't want to spot check thicknesses with a digital readout when doing Hot Taps. You really need to san the entire are where the welder will weld.
Hot Taps are very dangerous!
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 05-21-2009 08:39
Thank you for the information. Yes welding on .156 wall has an incredible pucker factor- Ted
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 05-21-2009 12:55
Krautkramer DMS 2/TC with A and B scan is the way to go.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT thickness only