Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welder Performance Qualification
- - By dragon (**) Date 05-21-2009 11:11
as per ASME (BPVC) SECTION IX QW-452.1(b) thickness of weld metal qulified:
Thickness, t1 of weld metal in the coupon, in(mm)                                   thickness of weld metal qualified
1/2(13mm) and over with a minimum of three layers                                    maximum to be welded

May I think that if a welder weld a 13mm thick  coupon with above three layers and pass the test, he can weld any thickness material?

I am appreciated to any reply.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-21-2009 12:47 Edited 05-26-2009 12:38
Even without the 3 Layers/13mm allowance a welder can weld on any thickness material. However he/she can only deposit a given amount of weld metal.

If a welder welds a 13mm thick coupon with three layers and passes the test, he can weld any deposited weld metal thickness in production provided a WPS exists for such welding.

Edit: Change some words to bold to clarify my statement.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-25-2009 15:16
Not often I disagree with you on things pipewelder but I do on this one and have discussed with Sperko in the past and in fact he discusses on his website.  There MUST be a minimum of 3 layers and they must be documented.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-25-2009 15:55
Are you saying that the base metal thickness qualified for performance is somehow limited ?

I do agree that 3 layers must be documented for un limited deposited weld metal thickness "t" however I do not see it for base matal "T". for most processes. It may be how I'm wording something or maybe I am really missing something.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-25-2009 21:22
Part of my response was in relation to "....he can weld any thickness material. ..." Meaning that regardless of his qualified deposited weld metal thickness range, he is qualified to weld on any base matel thickness. He just may not be able to complete the whole weld.

I'm not sure if Mr. Sperko Addresses this or not. If it says something different than that then I have really missed something. This is possible.

Gerald Austin
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welder Performance Qualification