Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Hard-facing Overlay WPS
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 05-21-2009 20:03
Hopefully someone can answer this for me. We have to perform a hardfacing WPS/PQR .If you weld on a piece of round bar, is it considered plate or pipe? And what if after welding, the piece is bored out to create a wall thickness of say 1/4"?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-21-2009 20:56
Hello jsdwelder, I'm shooting from the hip a bit on this one, but I'd say that it would likely fall more into the plate/structural/equipment category. I'm also making an assumption that it is being used as some sort of equipment wear part, as opposed to use for carrying a product of some kind as a piping system would. Not quite sure about any code classifications for this procedure, if I were laying odds, I would tend towards an AWS classification. I'm sure others will be more specific with their responses. You might want to include it's intended use to help with better responses. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 05-22-2009 01:58
Thanks for the response Allan. This particular piece is part of a fuel nozzle for gas turbine applications. It is 304 that gets surfaced with L605 wire. I actually believe the hard-facing is applied due to extreme temperatures more so than for wear. This piece starts out as a piece of round bar aound 5 or 6 inches in diameter and about three inches thick and gets turned and milled into its final configuration. Makes for a whole lot of lathe chips!!!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-22-2009 02:58
Hello again jsdwelder, hearing your latest information, you may very well be out of a code type situation and into more of a verification and procedural type of scenario. Meaning that you are more so trying to verify that by using the procedure that you come up with you will be able to apply this layer of hardfacing in such a manner that it won't crack and chip, fall off, or fail in any other way prematurely. You should likely base your PQR parameters on the wire manufacturers recommendations for welding parameters and any pre-heat, interpass, or post-heat considerations. Also pay close attention to their recommendations for application thicknesses. Once you have come up with a satisfactory application regimen, make the necessary notes on your WPS. Just a few thoughts for consideration. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 05-22-2009 10:32
Thanks again. We are welding this in conformance to ASME IX. I had the guys weld up a test piece on an actual scrap production piece, as permitted by the code. We are not required to document chemical analysis or hardness on the WPS. I would think that it is because this is what the customer is telling us to use(the L605). I am of the thinking that the WPS is needed for just as you said, to ensure our repeatability of acceptable weld.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Hard-facing Overlay WPS