Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hot Stuff
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-22-2009 13:10 Edited 05-22-2009 19:03
Scott Forge in Clinton Wisconsin

Work being done with the 3,500 ton (medium sized) open die forge press)
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 05-22-2009 13:22
Great pics Scott, can almost feel that heat from here. What will be the end product from that pile of whatever those are?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-22-2009 13:39
Hello Lawrence, nice pictures! Those look similar to some of the forging processes that are done at Teledyne Wah Chang in Albany, Ore. with titanium. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-22-2009 15:05
Hello Lawrence;

I'm surprised they let you take photographs or put them on the Internet. Some companies are very sensitive about taking photographs of anything in their facilities. In my case that means photos of their equipment, parts being manufactured, capabilities, etc. are "off limits".

I just completed a repair job on the East coast for one client and wanted to do an article about the project for the Welding Journal. Their response was, "No way Jose!"

I've been doing work for them for the last 15 years and they are very shy about any form publicity. One of their new hires recently put a couple photos on the Internet and they marched him out the front gate the next morning.

We all have interesting projects that we would like to talk about, but there are clients that insist on complete confidentiality. Be careful of what you publish and make sure your client will not be upset if they see their name mentioned or photographs of their "property" on the Internet.

Great photos! Just make sure publishing them will not put your consulting work at risk. I'm sure they appreciate the help you give them, but check with your client before posting photographs.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-22-2009 15:15
I've had some of the same experiences as Al with getting permission to take photos.  Some have said that as long as the pics are of small parts of the overall job and no pics of prints or confidential material or processes that I'm okay.

Your pics also reminded me of some machinery I used to manufacture while in Portland, OR.  They were specifically for handling hot forgings and castings in foundaries.  Going into the foundaries to do maint or repairs was quite a treat.  Watching our equipment actually at work with white hot parts was more than a little interesting.

Anyway, Great Pics, thanks for sharing with us.  Oh, who's the white hat?  Did we just get a view of the infamous Lawrence?  Since I have never seen nor met you, I'm just curious.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 05-22-2009 16:26
Dye?
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-22-2009 17:28
I think that's "die".
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-22-2009 23:47
yeah it's amazing what a camera phone can take LOL yeah I work in a place where no computers or cameras can go in or out of the place but there all these dang camera phones around.

Like someone else said I sure can feel the heat from here.

great pictures though,

Chris
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-23-2009 05:08 Edited 05-23-2009 05:10
Hey Al...

I was surprised too... But I figured it couldn't hurt to ask...   He said..  Ok here ... Not ok over there....

There is really not many things that impress me more than a 4' x4' x 16' billet of white hot steel gettin turned into something when those guys go at it with the big forge...

BTW... Not consulting with these folks... Just a visit that was lined up with a Mettalurgy class that I'm taking.

Imfamous misspeller... Dye.. Die... um..
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-23-2009 11:02
Now that's a field trip!

There are occasions when the ASME visits WFI (subsidiary of Bonney Forge if I remember correctly) down in Houston. I always recommend the tour to the folks attending my Welding Technology Seminar. They let us tour the entire plant, from where the raw materials are received to the shipping department. It never ceases to amaze me when the hammer hits the hot steel and produces near net shaped parts. As you noted, it ties in perfectly with the subject matter covered in the metallurgy section.

I figured they were one of your clients. Anyone with heavy machines such as forging presses have welded repairs now and again.

Happy Memorial Day.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hot Stuff