Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Trailer repair codes or standards
- - By Robert Richard 2 Date 05-22-2009 15:09
Hi my name is Robert, and this is the first time on this site for me. This site was highly recomended. I searched the forums and could not find specs on this subject. I need to know codes or standards for semi truck and or trailer repair. Is there differant codes for differant states? Or is there a national standard.Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Robert                    
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-22-2009 15:20
The national standard that addresses the welding of trailers or truck frames defers to the "manufacturer's recommendations" if I remember correctly. Vessels/tanks that carry fluids are covered by the ASME, but ASME does not include any of the subframe. The major truck manufacturers publish "Upfitters Guides" that list the requirements and recommendations for working on truck frames.

I can't speak with any certainty about state requirements, but I know of no requirements on anything other than state owned vehicles in Connecticut. In Connecticut, they require certification of the welders to AWS D1.1, but again, that is only for state owned trucks. As one state police inspector told me, "If it isn't actually broken, I can't reject any weld."

Scary situation. Road Rockets with no national welding standard or qualification requirements hurling down the highway at breakneck speeds!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-22-2009 16:34
Caltrans also has a standard for use on thier trucks/equipment:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/eqsc/QualityStandards/Welding/Welding_R/welding.htm

The links on the left show series of pictures detailing acceptable fitup/welding of a few different truck frame mods.

JTMcC.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-22-2009 15:27
I've been asked this before by some folks who build heavy trailers and wanted to qualify their welders, so I contacted our DMV and after several conversations with lots of people at various levels within DMV, I finally got an answer about which code I was to qualify their welders to...AWS D1.1:current edition
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-22-2009 18:51
Hello Robert, you've already gotten some great responses to your questions. I would suggest to first contact your states DOT office and see if they have any procedures that govern the scope of repairs to trucks or trailers. Next you might very likely have to consider contacting the various manufacturers of the specific trucks/trailers that you are dealing with, in many cases you will find that the frame rails and such are of heat treated materials and welding on them isn't allowed/suggested. By contacting the specific manufacturer you might at least have a better idea as to whether they have set procedures for making welding repairs or modifications to their products.
     Unfortunately, in todays society, the legal eagles are constantly looking for someone to pin responsibility onto in the case of a failure with repairs, designs, modifications, etc. At the least, you need to take some reasonable steps to cover your backside when you are having dealings in this area. I would also agree with the consensus of the others that
D1.1 is likely the welding code that is referenced with this type of work. Best of luck to you, welcome to the forum, and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Robert Richard 2 Date 05-23-2009 01:58
Thank all of you so much.  You've been a great help. Thanks again.... Robert
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-24-2009 14:00
I've done a little searching on the web and found something that might push yu in the right direction. This is from the site of the "Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration".

Subpart J—Frames, cab and body components, wheels, steering, and suspension systems 
§393.201 Frames.
(a) The frame or chassis of each commercial motor vehicle shall not be cracked, loose, sagging or broken.

(b) Bolts or brackets securing the cab or the body of the vehicle to the frame must not be loose, broken, or missing.

(c) The frame rail flanges between the axles shall not be bent, cut or notched, except as specified by the manufacturer.

(d) Parts and accessories shall not be welded to the frame or chassis of a commercial motor vehicle except in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations. Any welded repair of the frame must also be in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations.

(e) No holes shall be drilled in the top or bottom rail flanges, except as specified by the manufacturer.

[70 FR 48055, Aug. 15, 2005]

As you cas see, there isn't a lot of direction provided, but you might do better searching yourself because you know exactly what you are looking for.

Best regards - Al

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Trailer repair codes or standards