Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PT certification.
- - By flamin (**) Date 05-26-2009 15:05
Hey fellas-

I would like to obtain a certification to perform Dye Penetrant testing per ASNT, SNT-TC-1A. Anyone who's gone through the process, please provide me with any information on where or how to get started.

Thanks for any help.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 05-26-2009 18:43
Try hellier ive used them to train for PT RT MT.
http://www.hellierndt.com/about-hellier.html

mdk
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 05-26-2009 19:07
Thanks for that link!

I appreciate it.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-26-2009 19:28
I had a good experience at http://www.pqt.net/

They are located in Greenville, SC.

from their site:
Our training facility is located at the NDT test lab of Applied Technical Services, Inc. in Greenville, SC.

Applied Technical Services, Inc.
214 Pelham Davis Cir
Greenville, SC 29615

(864) 292-1115 Tel
(864) 292-0228 Fax

Training Inquiries: Training@pqt.net
General Inquiries: Info@pqt.net
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 05-28-2009 23:28
Thanks John, that's quite the hop, skip and jump from here. Looks like good place though.

One more question, if I may....
So once a level II cert. is aquired. What is then required to attain a level III cert.?
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 05-29-2009 18:04 Edited 05-29-2009 18:07
From SNT-TC-1A 2006
6.3.2 NDT LVL III
6.3.2.1 Have Graduated from a minimum of 4 year college / university with a degree in engineering of science, plus one additional year of experience beyond the level II requirements in NDT in an assignment comparable to to that of an NDT LVL II in the applicable NDT method….or

6.3.2.2 Have completed with passing grades at least 2 years of engineering or science study at a university, college, or tech school plus 2 additional years beyond the level II requirements in NDT in an assignment at least comparable to that of NDT LVLII  in the applicable method ….or
6.3.2.3 Have four years experience beyond the LVL II requirements in NDT in an assignment  at least comparable to that of an NDT LVL II in the applicable method
The above requirements may be partially replaced by experience as a certified NDT LVL II or by assignments at least comparable to NDT LVL II as defined in the employer’s written practice.

My advice to you is get a copy of the recommended practice as a LVL III you will be required to know the answer to the very question you have asked.
You will need to take the NDT LVL III basic and then take the LVL III in the desired method.
The basic test is only taken once but each method you seek will be tested on.
Currently I am studying for my LVL III in MT so if any1 has any more advise or a correction to my post please let us Know.
Be Well Informed about all NDT methods,and the recomended Practice SNT-TC-1a
Hope this helps

MDK
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 05-29-2009 18:38
Thanks for the info, it was helpful.
Parent - By rigchaser85 (**) Date 05-30-2009 15:44
I just went to to classes here in webster tx for ut, mt, pt, and vt.  nde.com
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PT certification.