Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Recession proof business
- - By bullsnbets (**) Date 05-24-2009 16:23
Well fellow Welders, I am sorry to have to do it, but drastic times call for drastic measures. With the lack of pipe going in the ground and the need for Rig Welders diminished for the time being, I have come to the conclusion that, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do". So, after MUCH research, and given the small investment, I have ordered my first Hot Dog Cart. Yes, you read that right, a Hot Dog Cart. I've talked to Vendors all around the country and am convinced that while weenies won't make you a millionaire, it's a cash business with unlimited possibilities and low overhead. When you figure that every single item that you sell gives you a better than 100% profit, you can't go wrong. I'm curious as to others thoughts on this idea......... See ya at the Fair.

http://www.americandreamhotdogcarts.com/hot-dog-carts/ventura/ventura-features.php
Parent - - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 05-24-2009 16:30
Wow if you are are not joking this is a peculiar world we live in. Just a month a go a guy asked for a layoff from the outage I am on because him and his partner were opening a hot dog cart business. He got plenty off laughs over it but he and you are right hard cash money in the hand is better than wishing you were making welds sitting by the phone. He does have a pretty good area to operate with pittsburgh having so many sport venues and an outdoor activities.
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 05-24-2009 16:44
I'm not kidding. It's a done deal. My cart will be here June 1st. I've already scheduled a couple of gigs. Pres. Bush is coming to our small town for the 4th of July and I've secured a spot there. Several of the Vendors that I spoke to said that the cart will pay for itself plus some in that weekend alone. The population here is expected to double over that weekend. Motels as far as 60 miles away are already getting booked up for this deal. It's really exciting. And, being summer time, my wife and daughter and I will be able to spend some quality time together. Heck, if we wanted, we could hook up to it, head south to the beach and make a living while getting a tan....lol
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-24-2009 17:18
why the hell not cash in hand is better then hoping some of these companys are gonna pay you at the end of the month like I read on here alot
Parent - By 8898jsmit (*) Date 05-24-2009 23:42
I was talking to a lady running a dog stand one day, she said she cleared $80K the previous year.  Not bad at all.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 05-25-2009 00:36
what did that cart cost you if you dont mind me asking
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 05-25-2009 02:14
3300.00 for the cart, 800.00 shipping. The cart in the link is the one I got. They do sell the smaller "Malibu" model which is cheaper and looks to be a very nice cart for the money. I got the Ventura. They show it with the flat Stainless, but it comes standard with the Diamond Plate. Of course I wanted the Diamond Plate. Much "Cooler".
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 05-25-2009 10:47
Your a welder, you shoulda just built one :P Interesting idea. Let us know how it goes.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-25-2009 16:10
A lot of jurisdictions require a NSF stamp on fixtures for food service equipment especially on steam and cooler trays to get a permit. Building a BBQ pit and serving sandwiches fresh off the pit is one thing. Slicing or chopping the meat then having it sit around along with condiments is another thing entirely. Some jurisdictions require a Certified Food Handler certificate even on a one person operation.
Parent - By JohnJohn (**) Date 05-25-2009 20:48
Just think, if you get a good compressor station gig after you pay it off you can run the roach coach off the site and make all the money. Even better with the beer license! You could even create the ROW DOG. The possibilities are endless!
Seriously, you do what you have to do in these times to put beans on the table, nothing at all wrong with that. I've done plenty of labor intensive work to pay the bills in bad times and wish I'd had an opportunity like this. Wish you luck.

JohnJohn
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-25-2009 19:06
Work is work, money is money. There is nothing wrong with doing what it takes to provide and get by. I've done real work, digging ditches, laying brick, land scaping, roofing, etc. Your idea strikes me as just as good an option as any. Two things are going to sell no matter what the economy does. Food and drink. Suggest you get a beer license to go with. You'd do well.
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 05-26-2009 01:38
When people are happy, they drink.
When people are sad, they drink.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-26-2009 09:10
no kiding you could sell a can of beer for almost anything you want, drunk people will pay anything
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 05-26-2009 22:46
I, for one, would be very happy to buy a hot dog and a drink from you.  And if I knew the hot dog cart operator was a welder, I would buy a bunch, knowing that you know quality control better than anybody.

I think you should name your cart something related to welding - Welder's Wagon, The Ark in the Puddle, something like that.  Anyone else have some names to suggest?

Happy new adventures to you!

Bob Garner
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 05-27-2009 01:16
Thanks Bob. That's a great idea! Any suggestion fellas?
Parent - By rfieldbuilds (**) Date 05-27-2009 11:59
Pigs On The Wing. (A Pink Floyd Reference).
Parent - - By bbwinc (**) Date 05-27-2009 15:12
Good luck with the new gig! Maby see u in action one day. If u wana go welding related how bout (The Rod Bucket hot dog world) LOL! Or stick with bullsnbets, u selling at any rodeo's?                       
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 05-27-2009 15:57
Probably no Rodeos. They already have Concessions. Bike Rallys, Festivals, Car Shows, anywhere that there may be alot of people. I got a call Monday and may be heading out to Pennsylvania. If so, my Cart may just have to wait a bit. I bought the Cart as a Secondary Source anyway, so if I have a Welding gig, I'm Welding. Thanks to everyone for all of your input. It's been great to read yout posts.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-28-2009 12:37
Bullsnbets,
This is kind of ironic. I was watching a show on the Food channel the other day about hot dogs and their history. A small portion of it focused on hot dog cart vendors. The way the said it, it can be VERY profitable if one places themselves at the right events and locations. IMHO you should have no problem making profit with it. And as for me, if I can put 2 and 2 together if I see you, you can bet you will have my business. :-)

Also consider that when set up like this, it is almost guaranteed customer satisfaction. All you have to do is provide a quality dog and bun, and they apply the condiments, so they are getting exactly what they want. Combine that with an affordable beverage and BINGO, happy campers all around.

Good luck with the Pennsylvania gig, and keep us posted on the location of your first hot dog venture.

jrw159
Parent - - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 05-28-2009 19:32
where in PA are you headed to?
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 05-28-2009 20:02
Far North I think, not sure yet.
Parent - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 05-28-2009 20:09
let me know im dead center north as you can get before NY
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-28-2009 23:33
Heck, when your not doing gigs maybe you could still hit the pipeline about lunch time!
Parent - By bullsnbets (**) Date 05-29-2009 00:52
Looks like I might be headed to chase rigs once again. If anybody hears of any lines that aren't manned up, let me know, free doggs for ya.....lol. Would sure love to stay out of those Cellars.
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 05-30-2009 01:59
Headed to Towanda, PA.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 06-03-2009 20:25
when you headed up north is that where the boom is now
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-28-2009 13:06
Advertise your welding business on the side of the cart.....there may be some tax deals where you can use for deductions....at the very least mention it to your tax guru and see what they say.
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 05-28-2009 18:39
Bullsnbets hot rod hotdog
You get it hot either way
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 05-29-2009 10:39
"The Welder's Weiner". Now that would catch some attention!
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 05-29-2009 23:34
TOO funny! I would definately go with that!!
Parent - - By Jake331 (**) Date 06-03-2009 14:54
my dad has a grave digging business........... its pretty much recession proof.........
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-04-2009 03:23
I plan to be cremated. All men are cremated equal.
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 06-04-2009 20:17
I'm donating my body to the local medical college.  They even do the death certificate and pick up the body.  And all at no charge.  (I'm actually serious).
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Recession proof business