Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 625 Overlay
- - By Steve.E (**) Date 05-25-2009 00:21
Theirs been a little interest  in Inconel welding on the forum lately , so I thought some pics of a project were working on at the moment may be of interest.
  Small Carbon A105 nozzles overlayed with GMAW-P  0.9mm wire, Large nozzles overlayed with ESW 30 and 60mm strip.
Attachment: ESW-60.JPG (70k)
Attachment: ESW-6001.JPG (56k)
Attachment: ESW30.JPG (66k)
Attachment: ESW30-01.JPG (70k)
Attachment: ESW30mm.JPG (79k)
Attachment: GMAW-P01.JPG (50k)
Attachment: GMAW-P021.JPG (42k)
Attachment: GMAW-P021-4592.JPG (42k)
Attachment: GMAW-P03.JPG (64k)
Attachment: GMAW-P04.JPG (57k)
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 05-25-2009 06:22
Steve,

excellent!

I am very interested in this topic and I am sure others are as well.

Do you have a little more information on this? Some details like process performance, i.e. (deposition) rate(s). Dilution ratio(s) in dependence upon the process,...?

Could you provide us with some information on the size of the large nozzles or even the procedure itself (preheat, number of layers,...)?

What is the threshold value in part size to chose ESW overlaying instead of e.g. SAW? Or are you using both SAW-Strip and ESW?

I may be wrong, but to the best of my knowledge what you have posted is something very special and not everybody is capable to perform somewhat like this!

Like I said, excellent!

Thanks and Regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By Steve.E (**) Date 05-27-2009 09:25
Hi Stephen , glad you liked the pics. Will try to answer some of your questions.
  Deposit rates on 30mm are around 12 Kg per hour , 60mm about 20 Kg , this is arc time rates and set up and maintenance will severally reduce those rates.
  This client required 5% max Fe , 2 layers 9mm min , we can generally achieve under 1% Fe with tight process control.
  Our threshold limit at this time (these goal post are always shrinking) are about 450mm ID for radial overlay and approx 350 for longitudinal o/lay. The large nozzles pictured are 1180mm ID , 235mm wall.
  Sorry I cant be more specific about the WPS but I don't think my manager would appreciate that.

Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 05-27-2009 19:04
Steve,

235 mm wall... awesome!

Thanks so much for replying. I can understand that your manager wouldn't be happy to find his WPS globally distributed among the welding community.

I whereas appreciate your response greatly!

Thanks again and best regards,
Stephan

P.S. If you were so kind or may find the time respectively, two little and last questions:

1. I strongly suppose that you may achieve the 1% Fe (which is tremendous low) in the second, but not the first layer at RESW?
2. How great is the Fe-content with GMAW?
Parent - - By Steve.E (**) Date 05-28-2009 07:36
Yes Stephen low reading was on second layer , 1st layer averages about 9% .
       GMAW-P readings were average 2% . This was on 3rd layer approx 10mm.
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 05-28-2009 09:41
Steve!

Excellent!

Thanks a lot and furthermore all the best!

Stephan
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 05-25-2009 16:26
Were the small nozzles welded using a Bore Tech machine or is this your own proprietary system? I'm curious as to what kind of machine you're using as last year I worked for a company using 2 different manufactured GMAW-P overlay fixtures and both had alot of running, start/stop, and lack of fusion issues after UT. PT was passable but UT's were a bust. We were running 625 and 309/347 on A106 with a variety of different gas mixes to try to sort out the issues. The configuration we were trying to overlay was 300lb. 2" long-neck flanges.

What are the applications for the nozzles?
Parent - - By Steve.E (**) Date 05-27-2009 09:48
Hi spgtti, The small nozzle pictured is a 900lb 2" Ring type LWN with bore and gasket face overlayed . We have a eutectic Id welder I will use as a last resort but prefer to use the machine developed in house that gives a much more reliable result . Good wire feed is the key. Power source was a Fronius unit and gas was Ar He CO2 mix .
  Nozzles are going into an autoclave for a gold mining company.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-27-2009 20:41
Nice photos.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 625 Overlay