Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS using Solar Flux Type B in lieu of Backing Gas (QW-408)
- - By FloridaSnook (**) Date 05-27-2009 12:28
We have experimented with GTAW using Solar Flux Type B on schedule 10 stainless steel pipe for applications such as vent lines or drains and I want to write a WPS with a supporting PQR.

I have bent coupons to QW-463.1 (d) and even had a second coupon examined by RT by a local testing lab....B31.3 was used as the criteria and everything has passed without issue.  I am sending the coupon out for tensile tests and assuming all goes well, I should have a legitimate procedure.

My questions is....by substituting argon with the Solar Flux, will my WPS be Section XI compliant?  Reference QW-256.  If not, should I use the same QW-482 format but make note that the procedure is not Section XI compliant?  Any advice especially from other users of Solar Flux would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-27-2009 13:00
Floridasnook,
QW-256 essential variables concerns changes made from something to something else.
You are qualifying a new PQR/WPS so as long as your procedure passes all the required tests it is ASME IX compliant,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-27-2009 13:34
There is nothing I can see as non compliant. For many SS materials sec IX is silent as far as essential variables go for purge.

You could lay a plate flat on a table, weld one side, flip it, backgouge it (or NOT) , weld the second side and write a WPS for 1/2" Schedule 80 open roots with or without backing and with or without backing gas.

Code compliance as far as Sec IX would be fine. What you actually put into a WPS will provide the user with the information they need to create the weld in accordance with your companies or customers requirements.

My answer to "My questions is....by substituting argon with the Solar Flux, will my WPS be Section XI compliant" is yes (Sec IX)

Currently there is no essential variable that addresses to use of flux either applied to a joint. It is addressed in filler metal Type 404.23. So you can use solar flux without concern however changing to a flux cored or flux coated rod would be different.

Individual project specifications may dictate your ability to use solar flux. I would suggest preparing 2 WPS's . One with Solar flux and One without. Be specific in the documents to how it is done. Flow rates are one thing, checking for O2, vent location, backpresssure, can all affect the appearance of completed roots.

Solar flux procedures should have instruction for how to mix, care for handling of joints after its applied, cleanup of internal surfaces if required.

This is only my opinion based on what I have read. Feel free to correct me and point me in the right direction if needed. I have searched through all of the interpretations and nothing has been submitted that I could find . That includes Sec IX and 31.3 .

Here is a solarflux article from a few years ago. http://www.solarflux.com/Graphics/web%20graphics/WDF_SOLAReprint.pdf

Gerald
www.weldingdata.com
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-27-2009 13:40
One thing that is worth thought is your statement that "B31.3 was used as the criteria ".

Have you ever seen root oxidation (sugar) mentioned? How do you accept or reject welds based upon oxidation of the root ? This would usually be a project specification type item.

In many instances the codes are very general and individual companies by use of their engineers, spec writers, QC etc may add to what is required to assure fitness for service. Or sometimes they may just add stuff cause thats how it was done on the "LAST JOB". :)

Good luck and I think your on the right track.

Gerald
Parent - By FloridaSnook (**) Date 05-27-2009 14:05
All excellent responses.....thanks.

We have existing WPS's that cover "normal" welding of stainless steels using argon purge for piping systems in process systems and my solar flux WPS pretty much mirrors it with the exception of using the flux as opposed to internal purge.  This WPS is intended to be used only in cases where the higher level of purity and cleaninness of argon purge is not necessary such as the examples I gave of a vent line or maybe a drain line.  Plus we will be certain to gain the approval in advance of the customer!

Thanks again to all who responded.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS using Solar Flux Type B in lieu of Backing Gas (QW-408)