Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Hope No One Here Took His Gun Safety Training Class
- - By Jssec (**) Date 05-23-2009 23:23
Phoenix man killed in gun-safety demo
Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 05.18.2009

A 26-year-old Phoenix man accidentally killed himself early Sunday while explaining gun safety to two Sierra Vista residents. Samuel Benally Jr. was at an apartment on West Tacoma Street when he said guns should be kept unloaded because people could point them at their heads, said Sierra Vista police Sgt. Brett Mitchell. Benally then demonstrated by putting his own 9mm Ruger, which he believed to be unloaded, to his head and firing it, Mitchell said. Benally was flown to University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, Mitchell said.
An investigation is ongoing, but police do not believe alcohol or drugs were involved.

http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/293333.php
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-24-2009 02:25
Darwin claims another victim.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-24-2009 15:27 Edited 05-24-2009 15:31
Another leaves the gene pool
(credit to PlasmaHead2 I just changed the format)
BABRT's
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 05-24-2009 02:31
Maybe not only a background check but an an IQ test might come in handy when purchacing guns too.  If he was the teacher, the students don't have a chance.  :-)
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 05-24-2009 03:22
The good and unusual part is the fact he took only his life. Cant make apples from motor oil EH?  Cant imagine wasting someones time testing that gomer.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 05-25-2009 00:51
well as ashamed as i am to admit i did the same thing a few days ago but i didnt have the gun to my head. i was cleaning my taurus pt 92 9mm put it all back together and noticed a grinding sound in the hammer i had put the clip in and put 1 shell in the chamber then unloaded it and put the gun close to my ear so i could hear the grinding in the hammer so i squeezed the trigger slowly and WHAM it went off hitting me in the left hand 124 grain +p round. it burns lol. i'm ok it just grazed the lower part of my left hand  it looks like a popped blister after hitting my hand it went thru the wshroom door then the washing machine thru the wall beside the washer and thru the wall in the bed room and stopped in the quilt on the bed scared me to death my wife rant and raved for a few minutes and then we laughed about it needless to say no more cleaning guns in the house
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-25-2009 02:23
never clean firearms in proximity to live rounds.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 05-25-2009 20:05
now you tell me lol
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-25-2009 21:11
:-) I'll add a few more for posterity.

Never do the following:
assume a firearm is unloaded,
clean a loaded firearm,
look down the barrel of a loaded or unloaded firearm without first having emptied and disassemble/disable it,
assume the neighbor will find a bullet through their wall amusing,
Shoot a working piece household equipment,
point a firearm in any direction you don't wish to or couldn't safely send a round down range,
and last but not least;
Never ever utter the words "hey ya'll watch this" while holding a firearm.

Respectfully,
Gerald
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 05-26-2009 04:54
i swear i just unloaded it i dont know what happened but it went off hell it wouldnt of been dirty if i didnt go kill a snake for a friend and have it fall out of my pocket when i was under the trailer looking for the snake it was covered in dirt
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-27-2009 01:27
That REPO man will think twice before He comes back to Your place...
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 05-27-2009 03:40
i beat the repo man to the bank and made payment this morning so i get to keep it for another month but yeah i was waiting for him lol at least i know my gun is clean lol
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-27-2009 16:02
Sooo....what was the grinding sound? Hate to think you took a bullet and failed to resolve you primary objective. Maybe all that was needed was a "test shot" to remove that last pesky piece of unfound grit??
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 05-28-2009 00:51
it was dirt i got it out with another disassemble and cleaning
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-03-2009 18:32
I guess this guy had it wrote down on his class lecture wrong, insted of "guns should be kept unloaded" perhaps, never point a firearm at anything you don't want to destroy regardless if it is unloaded or not as a first rule of thumb. No great loss to society though, stupid is as stupid does.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Hope No One Here Took His Gun Safety Training Class