Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / camshaft sensor ?
- - By weldaboy (**) Date 05-31-2009 19:17
has ne body ever changed a camshaft sensor on a 2005 dodge 1 ton diesel? i need to but i dont even know where to start.
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 05-31-2009 23:10
I haven't ever done one but they are really involved.  You might want to try finding a mechanic and getting a quote.  Just don't go to a dealership.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 06-01-2009 00:20
If you intend to have someone else do it call everyone. My local dealer is usually close, or lower than independant mechanics in the area. And you know they are familiar with the truck, and have made the repair several times already.
Your dealer may vary ; )

JTMcC.

If you're going to do it yourself, buy the factory manuals, they are very detailed.
Parent - By Jssec (**) Date 06-01-2009 00:42
cam shaft or crank shaft and year
Parent - By Marsh Welding (**) Date 06-01-2009 04:29
take it to the dealership.hourly rate may be higher but they know what theyre doing.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 06-01-2009 14:46
The cam shaft sensor on the fors and chevy's are cake.  I really can't see a dodge being that tuff if you have some tools. Maybe time consuming, but not that bad.  Get on some Dodge forums and do some searching.  If you're running a diesel, I guarantee there are tons of forums with some tuners on there that know what they're talking about and can help you get that thing changed out.  They'd be able to tell you if you would be able to do it with what you have as well or how much of a task it really is.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 06-01-2009 14:55
Well, apparently it is also a pretty easy fix along with the ford and chevy's.  Go here and join, then search in your category of truck for what you need.  There will probably be a ton of threads with pictures and everything you'd need.  http://www.cumminsforum.com
Parent - By sparkin (*) Date 06-03-2009 08:28
Looks like if it is the camshaft sensor it is either "Between the injection pump and the block. Can't even see, just the wire going to it." (found on web)

----or---

The Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) on the 4.7 L V-8 engine is bolted to the front/top of the right cylinder head.

1 Disconnect electrical connector at CMP sensor
2 Remove sensor mounting bolt
3 Carefully twist sensor from cylinder head
4 Check condition of sensor o-ring
When insall new sensor:
1. Clean out machined hole in cylinder head
2 Apply a small amount of engine oil to sensor o-ring
3 Install sensor into cylinder head with a slight rocking action. Do not twist sensor into position as damage to o-ring may result
CAUTION: before tightening sensor mounting bolt, be sure sensor is completely flush to cylinder head. If sensor is not flush, damage to sensor mounting tang may result.
4. Install mounting bolt and tighten
5 Connect electrical connector to sensor

If it is the crank shaft sensor then it should be on the passenger side of the engine near the crankshaft pulley, crawl underneath with a 10mm socket and change in about 45 seconds. Good luck, hope this helps.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-03-2009 16:06
Here is something I found, they talk about a wire near the ac compressor. Loose or dirty grounds can cause a host of problems that would blow your mind, seen it many times at the Cadillac dealer. Dash going crazy, buzzers and codes....cause, loose ground on engine somewhere.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/need-help-truck-wont-start-t176493.html?&highlight=2005+Camshaft+sensor

I'd check that first, cheapest, then go the other way. Yes, dealer has the most knowledge for the most part, EXCEPT if you have an authorized Cummins repair facility near you. The dealer near me put on a new injection pump and bent the fire out of my timing cover and it leaked oil all the way home. As a previous Cummins mechanic at a dealer I wondered why it was he had used a prybar on my timing cover when Cummins supplies a nice hole in it to unbolt the VP44. After the dealer bought the parts and said they could install them I laughed and said, the heck you will and brought them home and did it myself.

Your other option(my ideal choice), authorized Cummins dealer, not dodge dealer. Place near me is well spoken of by all the folks around here and where most farmers/working folks take their Cummins to be repaired. The dealer for the most part is good but you do have techs/mechanics that are in the "hack" zone. I've seen some things done by co-workers that would make you cringe.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / camshaft sensor ?