Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / For general sub con which of these tigs.
- - By UKmxer (*) Date 06-13-2003 20:02
For welding most of todays common materials in building and manufacture in the sub contract area. Which one of these machines is better and why?

Large industrial set
Description states:-
Welds steel and aluninium. Infinite adjustment of welding current. HF arc ignition. torch trigger latch. Adjustable up & down slope of welding current. Pre-set pre gas flow , adjustable post gas flow. Welds types of MMA electrodes (including cellulistic). Safety rated 'S' class. Insulated class H. Protection class IP21. weight 120kg. dimensions 450x890x810.

Portable Set
Lincoln V205-T AC/DC Portable

Desc states:-
Winner of the Gold Award for the Maintenance Tools & Equipment category in Plant Engineering's 2002 Product of the Year contest.

The Invertec V205-T AC/DC is ideal for critical AC or DC TIG Welding applications. This full featured TIG welder is also capable of stick welding. Variable AC frequency allows you to focus the arc when precise arc control is required. The 115/230V auto-reconnect makes the truly flexible and the rugged, portable, lightweight design is ideal for shop or field environments.

Sorry for the long question, I am about to spend approx 2.6K on a set and I need to know from the experts.

Thx
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 06-14-2003 18:24
nice machine...but have you checked out Thermal Arc's machines? i'm hooked on them because of the features, high amp output, arc stability, lightweight, and they're a little less expensive than their competitors. http://www.thermalarc.com
Parent - - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 06-17-2003 00:19

I am not a contractor, but the guys I see doing onsite welding mostly use portable units. I think your choice could be based upon your need for portability. If you don't need a portable unit then don't pay for it! But you'll be mad as hell when the day comes that you've gotta huff a 120kg machine up three flights of stairs!

Chris
Parent - By UKmxer (*) Date 06-20-2003 08:42
Thanks for the replies.

I am sorted now, I have bought a 200 acdc.
It weighs 25KG and does 10-200 amps AC, so hopefully thats me sorted.

All I have to do now is work out what all these programmable functions do.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / For general sub con which of these tigs.