Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What not to weld?
- - By phaux (***) Date 06-04-2009 04:20
Just what things yall would never weld on or build due to liabilty reasons and why.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-04-2009 04:40
Any vertical support on a mass produced chair.

Welding up the little foot rest rings or horizontal parts are usually ok... 

But if a large person gets hurt falling off a broken chair the insurance folks will see that repair and even if it is a poor design.. the welder will take the blame.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-04-2009 12:51 Edited 06-04-2009 18:07
High pressure gas cylinders,(unless I cut the bottom or enough of it off so that it can never be used again as a pressure vessel).

Gasoline or fuel tanks, unless certified "Gas Free" by a registered "Gas Free Engineer" or Marine Engineer.

Aircraft engine or aerospace parts, unless certified by the manufacturer.

Trailer hitches to Unit Body or any other non-frame car or van.

Any welding on an aluminum car bumper.

Crane hooks, bolt on pintle hooks or the loop in a lunette eye, 5th wheel plates,

Fork lift arms.

Wire rope.

Never torch the head off a 55 gallon drum, even if it is brand new.

Galvanized potable water tank.

Milk, blood, or acid carrying vessels and associated piping.(Special sanitary welding provisions apply)

Never  air arc or torch cut open a closed safe, unless you are absolutely sure of the bonafides of who you are doing it for.

Load carrying members of a bridge unless the DOT is there with a signed and sealed plan.

Never cut apart to scrap a big expensive piece of machinery,unless you are sure of the ownership and have permission of the owner or lien holder.

Never cut up a motorcycle.  It is probably stolen..
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-04-2009 14:14
I think Joe pretty well covered that one, but let me add a couple of thoughts.

If you have a welding business with insurance, licenses, bonding, etc, never work outside your coverage.  Contractors licenses generally state the range of things you can do and still be within your licensure.  Insurance will also be rather particular as to certain non covered items.  Joe mentioned hitches.  Most shops will find their liability does not cover the manufacturing and installation of hitches.  If you buy hitches from a reputable hitch manufacturer you can bolt it on in it's proper application then there will be no problem.  Don't build it yourself or modify it.  Public safety issue and you are not an engineer. 

Along with that, if you are a business especially, don't work outside your welding qualifications.  If something goes wrong, your insurance and the customer's lawyers will eat you alive.  If you aren't qualified for the job requested be very careful.  There are things that are not code critical, I am not referring to those (fences, railings, light equipment repair).  But if you don't do heavy equipment repair properly, don't do structural properly, don't do piping properly, with all the right code qualifications you can lose everything and possibly cause injury or death.  Not worth the risk. Even some railing can be rather critical in certain applications.  I would not let just anyone build some of the ones we have done.

Know your customer.  Especially today.  Many people want something for nothing.  They also love to sue.  And the courts are very unstable.

And lastly, don't do a job your equipment won't handle properly.  Example: welding heavy machinery repairs on steel over 3/8" with a 110v innershield wire welder.  You won't get the needed weld.  Or: weld cast iron parts with a GMAW short arc.  Unless it is only decorative.

Make sure you and your equipment are right for the job.  Then, do whatever needs to be done to feed your family and know you have provided professional, quality, competent service to your customer and the community.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 06-04-2009 20:06
Farm equipment hollow tool bars and tubing that is enclosed or welded shut unless you know what is inside first !  Haven't heard of it happening in long while now but some been killed welding or cutting on those that exploded.  Were filled with oily ballast weight of chips or other material when also combined with condensation inside and then heated by welding or cutting with extra oxygen blew out. 
Parent - By Eric Carroll (**) Date 06-05-2009 04:22
A car or truck wheel. My old shop was right in downtown Nashville and I got tons of guys bringing cheap cast rims that would crack and couldnt hold air. I also heard a story about a "jack of all trades" type that got killed trying to weld some cracks on a wheel with the tire still on it that had fix-a-flat in it.
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 06-05-2009 08:30
anything a guy in a suit and shiny shoes brings you.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-05-2009 14:11
Darren,

You must work in a different environment than I do...

When we keep the suits happy... We get what we want when it comes time for new equipment or a raise!

Yes sir, Yes sir, three bags full...

One may fix little widgets for the suits and still mantain integrity.

I try to say yes to the folks who can say "yes" when I need something.
Parent - By drifter57 (**) Date 06-05-2009 16:04
Crack of dawn-------- broken heart
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 06-05-2009 16:42
There is always the old 416 stainless.  I say not to weld it yet my employer does.  They throw it in my face by saying they have done it for 30 years.  When we have cracking rejects I throw it back with my monthy engineering reports.  LOL
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What not to weld?