Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding certification procedure ?
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-06-2009 01:08
I have another question to ask you guy's and it is if a person leaves the company that has taken some of the wps you know the test with the mechanical testing do we have to re-certify those test by D1.1,D17.1,or D1.2. I've have looked in D17.1 and couldn't fine are maybe over looked it.I would appreciate any information.

M.G.
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 06-06-2009 02:20
I understand you as asking something along the lines of "if we can't produce the PQR's that support our WPS's do we have to do the PQR's over?" This is why we digitize them in our company, they can't be lost to earthquakes, fire, flood, or thieving knaves with proper backup procedures in place. To more directly respond though, yes I would say you have to replace them, understanding that your WPS's were qualified by testing. How frantically you go at it depends on your business. If you are a OEM, procedures hardly enter into obtaining new business, they are more a bulwark against the rainy day when 40 Philadelphia lawyers write you a letter of concern about some aspect of alleged negligence in the design or manufacture of your product. If you are a construction contractor, telling the general or the owner that "We had all these WPS's and supporting PQR's but we just can't locate them." is probably not going to get you any new contracts. Conversely, though, if you are in a business that has to regularly submit WPS's, it may be much easier to replace them. Simply see if some of the customers you submitted to retain complete copies and ask for a copy. The lab we contract retains their reports indefinitely, and for many of the procedures at my present company, that includes the WPS and the PQR, we only moved to a model of actually writing the WPS's in house over the last couple of years.

Good luck in recovering your documentation. 
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-07-2009 00:37
No I'm asking if someone gets laid off or quits that did the PQR's  do the ones that are still working have to
re-certify the PQR's that he had done. The employees that are there now have past a welding qualification test on the PQR's.

M.G.

We haven't lost any PQR's records and I hope we don't.
Parent - By jarcher (**) Date 06-07-2009 00:49 Edited 06-07-2009 00:53
No, absolutely not. The WPS's with PQR's stand on their own merit, the code book is silent about authorship in general as far as D1.1 is concerned, I'm not really familiar with D17 but my first guess is the same thing applies.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 06-07-2009 00:51
No, A company can hire someone off the street to weld PQR's and lay them off afterward and as long as the NDE, bends and tensiles were good, the PQR belongs to the Company.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-10-2009 00:07
Thanks  jarcher and ctacker for your replys.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding certification procedure ?