Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The Emergence of President Obama's Muslim Roots
- - By Jssec (**) Date 06-03-2009 00:22
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/06/abc-news-jake-tapper-and-sunlen-miller-report-the-other-day-we-heard-a-comment-from-a-white-house-aide-that-neverwould-have.html

ABC News' Jake Tapper and Sunlen Miller report: The other day we heard a comment from a White House aide that never would have been uttered during the primaries or general election campaign.

During a conference call in preparation for President Obama's trip to Cairo, Egypt, where he will address the Muslim world, deputy National Security Adviser for Strategic Communications Denis McDonough said "the President himself experienced Islam on three continents before he was able to -- or before he's been able to visit, really, the heart of the Islamic world -- you know, growing up in Indonesia, having a Muslim father -- obviously Muslim Americans (are) a key part of Illinois and Chicago."

Given widespread unease and prejudice against Muslims among Americans, especially in the wake of 9/11, the Obama campaign was perhaps understandably very sensitive during the primaries and general election to downplay the candidate's Muslim roots.

The candidate was even offended when referred to by his initials "BHO," because he considered the use of his middle name, "Hussein," an attempt to frighten voters.

With insane rumors suggesting he was some sort of Muslim Manchurian candidate, then-Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and his campaign did everything they could to emphasize his Christianity and de-emphasize the fact that his father, Barack Obama Sr., was born Muslim.

The candidate's comment at a Boca Raton, Florida, town hall meeting on May 22, 2008, was typical: "My father was basically agnostic, as far as I can tell, and I didn't know him," he said.

In September 2008, candidate Obama told a Pennsylvania crowd, "I know that I'm not your typical presidential candidate and I just want to be honest with you. I know that the temptation is to say, 'You know what? The guy hasn't been there that long in Washington. You know, he's got a funny name. You know, we're not sure about him.' And that's what the Republicans when they say this isn't about issues, it's about personalities, what they're really saying is, 'We're going to try to scare people about Barack. So we're going to say that, you know, maybe he's got Muslim connections.'...Just making stuff up."

Back then, the campaign's "Fight the Smears" website addressed the candidate's faith without mentioning his father's religion:

"Barack Obama is a committed Christian. He was sworn into the Senate on his family Bible. He has regularly attended church with his wife and daughters for years. But shameful, shadowy attackers have been lying about Barack’s religion, claiming he is a Muslim instead of a committed Christian. When people fabricate stories about someone’s faith to denigrate them politically, that’s an attack on people of all faiths. Make sure everyone you know is aware of this deception."

The website also provided quotes from the Boston Globe and Newsweek mentioning his father's roots.

Since the election, however, with the threat of the rumors at least somewhat abated, the White House has been increasingly forthcoming about the president's roots. Especially when reaching out to the
Muslim world.

In his April 6 address to the Turkish Parliament, President Obama referenced how many "Americans have Muslims in their families or have lived in a Muslim majority country. I know, because I am one of them."

- Jake Tapper and Sunlen Miller
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-03-2009 17:56
Yes, even Jon Stewart who spent most of his time fawning all over Obama during the campaign is starting to make jokes about where his Muslim kinfolk were being stashed while the campaign was on.
In fact, during the campaign if a media member even used his middle name he would get hammered.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 06-04-2009 04:17
just incase you forgot he got in office in jan. you can stop campaigning now
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-04-2009 05:16
Does it  really matter what religion he, or any other president is or was?  So what his middle name is Hussein?  So what he lived in Indonesia for a while?  It was a good strategy to downplay his middle name based on the biggotry of Americans.  I know many people, sercretly or not, still can't get over the fact that he is black too.  OMFG.  A black president.  And if that's not bad enough, he was exposed to Islam.  OMFG.  Let's buy a shi* load of guns and hide in the root cellar.  The world is coming to an end.

Boy, I hope one of those peckerwoods out there don't assasinate Obama, then we'll have a Catholic president.  OMFG, not a Catholic.  He'll probably sale America to the Vatican then we'll all be worshiping statues too.

I hope the next president is a WASP, so people can get back to "normal".

DISCLAIMER:  This rant is simply a sarcastic discertation on the obsurdity of a portion of American "thought".  Maybe I'll edit this in the morning.  Good night and good luck! :-)
Parent - By Shooter71 (**) Date 06-06-2009 02:11
That's the second time I've heard "root cellar" in two weeks. Wierd...
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-06-2009 16:00
Bryon,
"Does it  really matter what religion he, or any other president is or was?  So what his middle name is Hussein?  So what he lived in Indonesia for a while?  It was a good strategy to downplay his middle name based on the biggotry of Americans."

Clearly it mattered to Obama. Thats why in a disingenuous campaign 'strategy' he chose to downplay his Muslim roots as opposed to the honest 'strategy' of taking it on. If it didn't matter then be honest about it. Be proud of it. Don't run from the facts, don't lie about them, and then attack all who ask the question as being bigots trying to inflame fear.
Is not the problem of bigotry still alive? You seem to think so in your post. As I would agree with you. But Obama apparently disagrees with us. Apparently its all OK now. No worries. He is in the White House so there is no concern for bigotry. Perhaps if you wrote a letter to Obama to remind him, it would be helpful. The duplicity of saying there is a concern for it when you campaign and then none once you get elected would almost be laughable if it wasn't so insidious. And if that is not the premise of his latest flip flop then what is?

It just seems to me that as apropos as the 'Ass' is to being the democratic maskot that perhaps at this particular point in time the Ostrich would be a better fit because the logical contortions that his supporters seem to put themselves through to deny the reality of his lies, his ignorance, his duplicity, and his incompetence is pathetically comical. And whilst thine head is in the sand, forget not where thine ass is.

But he sure talks pretteh.

PS:
No, its not the end of the world. Nobody is making that argument, except maybe for the straw man in the minds of liberals. But I wait breathlessly to hear the argument that it is not an attempt to end the America we know. To end the ideals that made America the greatest nation in the history of the world. To end the freedoms that so many have died for. That so many have dreamed of establishing in their home countries. Its not a hidden agenda of his. He has made it quite clear.
The world indeed won't end, but this President, beloved by those anxious to witness us getting our 'comeuppance' is leading us straight to an unprecedented misery unless we wake up.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-06-2009 18:24
Based on Americans' paranoia of Muslims what did you expect him to do?  He has said all along that his father, whom wasen't in his life, was muslim, albeit not as devout as some.  And his stepfather as well, a muslim.  A damn fine strategy.  He already has one strike against him in the eyes of many voters, he's black.  I know many people, staunch Democrats that wouldn't and still won't let that one go.  And having muslim background is strike two. 

America has many flaws that must be resolved before its the greatest nation on Earth.  Business as usual has done very little to solve the problems.  "The America as we know it".  The America that we know has been out of touch with the rest of the world for decades.  The world has "shrunk" so much in the past 50 years that America needs to get up to speed with the rest of the world.

The fall of the Soviet Union was the worst thing ever to happen to America.  Now there is no one compare ourselves to to prove that America is so great.  The EU was created as a conglomerate of small, non-"super power" nations to help them compete as a whole with the others.  Now South American nations want to put together a similar pact.  For too long we have ignored the Muslim world, although we have become dependent on their natural resources to fuel our dying economy.  Now the former Third World is becoming First World Caliber, we find ourselves detached from the reality that is building on Earth.  And all of these countries have started their ascent to the First World on the American dollar and at the cost of the American Working Class.

The divide between the rich and the poor is becoming more vast year by year.  Until that divide is reversed we will continue to become less relevant to the world.  The death of the Working class was brought about by the never ending quest for increased profits.  By moving factories abroad profits are at an all time high.  In the mean time, we have lost much personal revenue while other countries' workers have increased their spending power. 

Something radical must take place to ensure our future. 
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 06-06-2009 21:46
Based on Americas experiance with Muslims what else but mistrust could any sane human being have?  The reasons that "O" was elected was the Billion $$$ campain. the fluid reading from a brilliant speach writer's telepropter and the fact he is Black. We have been brainwashed by the media for a long time that being sucessfull and American makes us evil. Now the American people have to hear of all the wrongs we have done to humanity. Oh wait we havent really done anything wrong.  How about stopping the apologies and show some balls.

The worlds free ride on the economic rollercoaster hits a low and its all our fault?  How about the world pay back all of the hundreds of billions in forgiven debt? Nafta was a door to hell along with free trade with moronic countries that want take and take but give nothing back.  Government intervention into the private sector may very well ruin any chance that we have to repair the devastation thats in pr"O"gress.

Being sheeple is what is demanded by the over reaching government at large and the rocketing divide of the classes has just begun. 

The Muslim sharia laws that will be in play will convert many freeloaders to muslim, after all I want no interest loans as well.

Drowning the litter will surely make things better EH?
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-08-2009 12:49
Paranoia is an unjustiifed anxiety. I would say that given radical fundamentalist Islams penchant for trying to blow us up that perhaps paranoia isn't the proper term.

Also,
"He has said all along that his father, whom wasn't in his life, was muslim, albeit not as devout as some."
This is patently false. He has stated he was agnostic, then atheist, and then muslim.

As for what I exepcted him to do? Well, I expected him to lie. Just like he did. Just like he always has. It is yourself, supporting a candidate who ran on a platform of changing the way politics is done with greater openness (which hasn't happened), greater accountability (which hasn't happened), and greater honesty (which clearly STILL hasn't happened) who should demand a higher standard. Not me. He is exactly as I, and many, expected him to be. A product of the Chicago political machine.

AND, I wonder if Bin Laden thinks we have ignored the Muslim world for too long. Good lord Bryon. Where do you read this stuff? The Rosie O'Donut Blog!!  :) 

"Something radical must take place to ensure our future."
And of course your radical solution is that the government owns everything and EVERYONE is poor. Well, thats one solution to your imagined loss of the middle class. Turn us all into dependants. No more gap. Brilliant!!
Yup, the third world has started their assent, but since liberals are advocating policies to meet them half way they won't have far to climb.
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 06-11-2009 11:18
Muslim  Belief

This is  a true  story and the author, Rick Mathes, is a well-known
leader  in prison ministry.

The man who walks with God always gets to his destination. If you have a pulse you have a  purpose.

The Muslim  religion is the fastest growing  religion per capita in the United States , especially in the  minority races!!!

Last month I attended my annual  training session that's required for maintaining my state prison security clearance.

During the training session there was a presentation by  three speakers representing the Roman Catholic, Protestant and Muslim
faiths, who explained each of their beliefs.

I was particularly  interested in  what the Islamic Imam had to say.

The Imam gave a  great presentation of the basics of Islam, complete with a video.  After  the presentations, time was provided for questions and answers.

When it was my turn, I directed my question to  the Imam and asked:
   'Please, correct me if I'm wrong,but I  understand that most Imams and clerics  of Islam have declared a holy jihad [Holy war] against the infidels of the world and, that by killing an infidel, (which is a command to  all Muslims) they are  assured of a place in
heaven. If that's the case, can you give me the definition  of an infidel?"

There was no disagreement with  my statements  and,without hesitation, he replied,  'Non-believers!'

I responded,  'So, let me make sure I  have this straight. All followers of Allah  have  been commanded to kill everyone who is not of your faith so they can have  a  place in heaven. Is that correct?'

The expression on  his face  changed from one of authority and command to that of a  little boy who had just been caught with his hand in the cookie jar.' He   sheepishly replied, 'Yes.'

I then stated,  'Well,  sir, I have a real problem trying to imagine Pope John Paul commanding all Catholics to kill those of your faith or Dr. Stanley ordering  all  Protestants to do the same in order to guarantee them a place in  heaven!'

The Imam was speechless!

I continued, 'I  also have  problem with being your friend when you and your brother clerics are telling your followers to kill me! Let me  ask you a question: "Would  you rather have your Allah, who tells you to kill me in order for you to  go to  heaven, or my Jesus who tells me to love you because I am going to heaven and He wants you  to be there with me?'

You could  have heard  a pin drop as the Imam hung his head in shame. Needless to  say, the organizers and/or promoters of the Diversification' training  seminar were not happy with Rick's way of dealing with the  Islamic Imam, and  exposing the truth about the Muslims'  beliefs.

In twenty years  there will be enough Muslim  voters in the U.S. to elect the President!  I think everyone in  the U.S. and Canada should be required  to read this,  but  with the ACLU, there is no way this will be widely publicized,unless each of us send it on!
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-06-2009 16:10
Bryon,
"I hope the next president is a WASP, so people can get back to "normal".

Just thought I'd repost this to allow its absurd significance to sink in.
It never ceases to amaze me how those who insist on making an issue about race accuse others of making the issue about race. But I suppose that if that is all you can see then what other result could one expect.
Parent - By millerman (**) Date 06-08-2009 02:19
Byron
I dont really post in here a lot  but the problem  imho is that for to long we have just took what the people on the hill have force feed us to deal with it is what i call the lobster boil effect cold water put him in turn up the heat  and before he knows what is going on its too late i respect your opion as a american , but when we lay down and take it the way it is shoveled to us then i feel that we are disrespecting the many men , and women , and the familys that have given so much in every conflict that gave us those freedoms yes he is our leader in chief no i did not vote for him but think of this no US leader has ever bowed to another ruler , king , ect.  kept his birth place secret but this could go on and on and i am not going to. And yes i have a few arms , and a storm shelter , and hunt and pray ,so respect to the flag in my yard and remember this it was the backwoods , root celler , armed men and women this country has called on  time and time again.
Thanks
Mac
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-04-2009 05:16
Does it really matter what religion he, or any other president is or was?  So what his middle name is Hussein?  So what he lived in Indonesia for a while?  It was a good strategy to downplay his middle name based on the biggotry of Americans.  I know many people, sercretly or not, still can't get over the fact that he is black too.  OMFG.  A black president.  And if that's not bad enough, he was exposed to Islam.  OMFG.  Let's buy a shi* load of guns and hide in the root cellar.  The world is coming to an end.

Boy, I hope one of those peckerwoods out there don't assasinate Obama, then we'll have a Catholic president.  OMFG, not a Catholic.  He'll probably sale America to the Vatican then we'll all be worshiping statues too.

I hope the next president is a WASP, so people can get back to "normal".

DISCLAIMER:  This rant is simply a sarcastic discertation on the obsurdity of a portion of American "thought".  Maybe I'll edit this in the morning.  Good night and good luck! :-)
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 06-04-2009 10:43
You thinking someone might want to read some leftist writings twice? What matters is that your "O" is trying to change America and drag us down into the " we are the world " crap. I you think the Constitution is wrong then where in the World has the correct solution?  Maybe all of the "people " who think the US is evil and needs changing should pack up all of their US dollar paid for belongings and relocate. Good riddance they most likely are the same people who Milk the system for all they Possably can, Wow more for the Working Tax Payers in America.
Nobody must be trying to off "O" as he is well protected by his 500 person security farce. Who needs another paid holiday anyway? I have never gotten one.

Religion isnt the problem anyway, its Muslims that want to kill all Americans and anyone who sides with them.  So would that make them the Enemy of the USA and its way of life?  If you honestly think they are our freinds ...Maybe you should embrace them after with their plan to take control of the world. Maybe they need some servants in the kindom. Read about moehammed.

Vote early and vote often, 2010 is coming along with lots of new faces on the Hill.

This is not intended to be a personal attack, just real tired watching people bash America.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-04-2009 13:51
The whole rant reminds me of a parallel with JFK.  The press was dearly in love/lust with him. Even nepotism didn't bother the press. 

The conspiracy theorists were worried about him selling out to the Vatican.  Of course the record now shows, that he was banging Marylin Monroe, (and some other women-not his wife) the whole time,  He is recorded as going to Sunday mass only fourteen times during the time he was in office. Certainly not a good record as Catholicism goes.  Obama, by most present accounts, IS FAITHULL to his wife, but he converted from the Muslim Faith, which is a bigger No-No (relatively speaking) to the majority of the Muslim sectarian teaching.

So, I laugh at the implications that Obama will sell us out to the Muslim terrorists.  JFK certainly did not do anything to help the Vatican or promote good Catolicism, so it is unlikely that Obama can do anything along those lines, even if he had some secret agenda to do so.

If you look at Obama's political record, he is big on African American projects and benefit promotion.  Now, here there May be a lot of one sided political favoritism.  But, there are other special interest groups that benefited during previous administrations.  When one administration was over, another administration had a new agenda.   

But then, the Catholic Church and Catholics in general were not advocating war with or destruction to the USA and it's people.  But, Now, if I am inferring correctly, the whole Muslim world is chanting "Death to America", Etc.  and they are supposedly better Muslims than the Catholics were Catholics.

There is one other big difference now.  The big bogeyman back then was the USSR,- the Bear, - the Red Menace.  Politically it was easy to use the Red Menace to deflect anti-US hatred and propaganda.  Now the big bully on the block is the USA, so I would expect a lot ill will to be aimed at the USA.
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 06-07-2009 02:34
I don't know if we are the greatest nation on earth, but, I do know I would not want to live in the #2 spot!
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-07-2009 17:05
If I get sick an am looking at a good hospital which Muslim supported hospital would I consider? I mean "The O" is touting how the US has such a large population of Muslim's there should be these hospitals on every corner. I see Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, and Jewish ??????
And we always see such a tremendous Muslim disaster responses to natural disasters.
Yessir them Muslims are always looking for ways to help their fellow men.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 06-07-2009 22:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6az-brYOsA&feature=PlayList&p=1A90F840E11C2D7A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

Remember during Obamas campaign when he kicked two Muslim women in head scarfs off the back drop?
Now that he IS the president we see a very different Obama. A very pro Islam Obama. The contrast of the "Christian" Obama during the campaign and the Muslim Obama now that he is the president is very disturbing because it shows how unprincipled he is and how deceptive he is.
Bow to the Saudi King and lie about it. Tells Turkey that we (USA) are not a Christian nation. Then says that we (USA) are a large Muslim nation. Gives Iran his blessing to pursue nuclear weapons, uh, I mean power. Shunned the annual day of prayer for the first time since it became a white house tradition.
After his address to Islam this week it is evident Israel is on their own.
During his campaign I never bought into the "Obama is a Muslim" hype. I gave him the benefit of the doubt. It didn't matter to me that he was black but I wasn't going to vote for him to prove that I wasn't a racist or because of white guilt. From day one it has been Obama and the dems that have been obsessed with race not the reps.

By the by: If Bush would have gone to Rome and given an address to Christianity to reach out and restore our relationship with Christians. Spoke of his upbringing and exposure to Christianity on three different continents, said that it was his responsibility as president of the US to fight against negative stereotypes of Christianity wherever they appear, pledged lots of money for social, economical, technological, medical and educational programs to Christian communities there would have been an onslaught of criticism from the media, the left, all non Christians, ACLU, etc. Replace the word Christian with Muslim and/or Islam and that is what Obama did in his speech to Islam this week.
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 06-11-2009 02:13
YEP, YEP , AND YEP!!!! And I like my ****ing root cellar! Come get some!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The Emergence of President Obama's Muslim Roots