Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / traceability of welder to weld
- - By firstpass (**) Date 06-08-2009 23:22
Does AWS D1.1 have a requirement pertaining to tracking welder to weld. 

where in B 31.3 is the requirement stated and required.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-09-2009 03:20
firstpass,

As far as I can recall, or find, D1.1 itself does not have a 'requirement' for tracking welder to weld.  But D1.8 does as a supplement to D1.1 when required for Seismic Designs.  It is 6.13 of D1.8.  It calls for marking of all welds with welder's ID mark.  From there it is a matter of logging the info into a spreadsheet and all depends upon how detailed of a log you need for tracing the information.  Some jobs require a very complicated weld track system.

I don't work in B 31.3 so can't answer that one for you.

Hope that helps.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 06-09-2009 05:35
Brent,

B 31.3 states " Each qualified welder and welding operator shall be assigned an identification symbol. Unless otherwise
specified in the engineering design, each pressure containing weld or adjacent area shall be marked with the
identification symbol of the welder or welding operator. In lieu of marking the weld, appropriate records shall
be filed"

Regards
Joey
Parent - By Richman (**) Date 06-09-2009 09:18 Edited 06-09-2009 09:34
Numerous project I encounter before we refer on B31.3 and the proejct requirements.

Example;
1.0 Each qualified welder and welding operator shall have an assigned  identification symbol approved in the project and if the assigned joint/s number welded in fabrictaion shop or at site.
2.0 Near to the joint/s being weld or welded, the welder symbol/identification is written together with the date when they weld the joint/s.     
3.0 Welding process for each welder who done the weld and the WPS used in welding the joint/pipe

With this it is easy to track each welder's complete traceability and performance and weld history on every line or system that completely done welding.

regards,

Richman
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-09-2009 16:58
I can't speak for B31.3 but others have already.

D1.1 doesn't outright say the welds have to be traceable to the welder.  It does say in 6.4 that he Inspector will allow only qualified persons to do the work. 

AISC Building Standard says that you must be able to identify who made the weld until the point of final acceptance of the weld.  That is often mistaken for being a D1.1 requirement.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / traceability of welder to weld