Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Denali pipeline
- - By wagon83 (**) Date 06-08-2009 15:22
Is anyone going on this job? If it is starting early next year are they looking for people yet. I was just curious on how to get on a project like this.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-09-2009 11:15
thanks for asking that question wagon, I was wondering the same thing.
Parent - - By bigrod (**) Date 06-09-2009 15:04
where does it start? and where does it end?
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-09-2009 16:17
This is what I know from reading the Gasline and Pipe journal. It's going from Alaska's north slope which it says will have a gas treatment plant then 2000 miles down into Alberta, Canada and possibly a 1500 mile line from there to Chicago. Bechtel was awarded the engineering contract for the mainline project. The pipe it said would be in the 48" diameter range.

Guess we'll have to wait to hear what some of the others that are out chasin' right now. I'm sure there are guys out in it that are hearing chatter. Be cold as a witches boob but that would be a cool project to be a part of.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-09-2009 16:53
I've seen alot of rigs going west through Kansas City the past few weeks.  I saw 2 the other day with Florida tags and a giant 5th wheel camper in tow. 
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 06-09-2009 19:15
Prolly headin to kansas an nebraska for the keystone line if they was union rigs. My buddy workin on the pump stations said they hired on about 3000 hands (operators, helpers, laborers, welders, etc.) last week or so when the lines were kicking off.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 06-10-2009 16:53
must be 798 hands i talked with an operator form 798 2 days ago and he got called to go to nebraska but was told to wait a day or 2 he also said they havent broke groung yet so theres no telling where them guys are going
Parent - - By tim105 (**) Date 06-09-2009 23:19
The denali pipeline is going to be a large project, but first the engineering needs to be done, then you have to deal with all the environmental people, then the state will argue about how much royalties they get from the gas then maybe then the construction will start. I have lived in Alaska up till 2004 and the politicians could not agree between themselves, much less with the oil companies as far as royalties and taxes go. It will happen, they will build it, but plan on waiting till 2015.
Parent - - By JustinB Date 06-10-2009 19:50
It has not even had a open season yet. I am very skeptical that Denali, or the Trans Canada project beign built. I for one think it is all a dog and pony show. I do think Enstar will build their "bullet line". To me that is the only one of the three that seems viable. Either way, any welding work on any of these projects are a long ways off.

Our politicians have done us zero favors, other than slow investment in our oil industry. How these people get elected is beyond me.
Parent - By JustinB Date 06-11-2009 23:41
http://www.reuters.com/article/usDollarRpt/idUSN1150958220090611

Intresting update, see if it plays out. Would be alot of jobs for alot of people for sure.
Parent - By wagon83 (**) Date 04-21-2010 21:15
- - By ruero (**) Date 04-22-2010 06:37
"4-13 Alaska Gas Pipeline LLC has filed the open season plan for it's 2816km Denali pipeline with the FERC." Pipeline International
They are still a long way off if they do happen, hopefully not to long.
pipelinesinternational.com alot of good info.
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 04-25-2010 03:54
I'm hiring in for Houston cantractors right now for maintenance on the TAPS and all the local 375 hands here are sayin that it's still about 4-5 years off, which is about normal for a project that size being in open season. Hope they get that damn thing on the fast track cause it'd damn sure help line the bank account!
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 04-26-2010 00:44
Is it possible that the project may not take off because of all the gas being brought online from the numerous shale formations across the lower 48,resulting in reduced prices?
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 04-26-2010 03:44
That could happen but they can also build an lng plant in Valdez and ship it to Asia. They're gonna get it out of there one way or another, just don't know how yet.
Parent - By pypLynr (***) Date 04-26-2010 04:00
...did you just say ' lower pricing ' ? LOL  Thats the most humorous thing I've heard in months . Thats a good one , right there . I'm workin' offshore and EVERYTHING I'm hearing is ' no chance of a price cut in the foreseeable future' . I'm with ya tho , WE definitely need a price cut on this dang fuel .
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 05-01-2010 15:20
I guess I should get the mobile service truck started. Since it will take me atleast 2 years to make it perfect.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Denali pipeline