Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / snt-tc-1a vs. cp189
- - By 1316 (**) Date 06-09-2009 15:09
Ok whats the deal with cp189, yeah i know tc1a is a recommendation and cp189 is a standard but why the two is tc1a going away and if so when?  or is cp189 for a specific industry, if so which?  I havent seen any call out for 189 in general industry i believe that it should be though.  Does anybody have any insight on this?
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-09-2009 15:51
CP189 has primarily resided in the nuclear world/section XI. CP189 is fatally flawed. If your weld inspector A, trained in 1970, then more than likely those who trained you are either dead or dieing, or the company that trained you was bought/sold so many times it's unrecognizable. Either way, traceability is lost. Maybe if you had a notary public of the time notorize your training and experience documents, but other than that, there is no way to verify the authenticity of such documents. This is more and more the case in the nuclear industry, and why CP189 as written will eventually die. Any other attempt at document verification opens the door to fraud. Any two bit idiot with a computer and criminal intent can dummy up papers to companies that don't exist any more or never existed. How is anyone going to know the difference without an expensive background check?
I've reviewed for approval many cert packs and have seen my share of false documentation.

It is my opinion that the time has come for a performance based certification scheme rather than a pile of worthless paper. Even in regards to that, programs such as the CWI program should have an entrance performance exam in my opinion. Some level of knowledge should be inherent before sitting down for a seminar/test. If that minimal knowledge was not present, then something is wrong with the paper work testifying to 5 years experience in my opinion. This is also a problem with the CSWIP, and ASNT ACCP program.
Why waste time testing someone like that?

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 06-09-2009 16:10
ASNT CP-189 was approved by the ASNT Board of Directors in January, 1989 as a standard for the qualification and certification of NDT personnel. The intent was to produce a new document that provided strict requirements rather than simply guidelines. ASNT obtained ANSI accreditation to process this document through a consensus balloting process that would recognize ASNT CP-189 as a national standard. The first successful consensus document became the ANSI/ASNT CP-189-1996.

MDK
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-09-2009 19:38
And it's on it's way to the grave yard.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-09-2009 21:35
I recommend CP-189 to a all of my clients that purchase outside services and I also recommend it to clients that are in the process of bring NDT capabilities in-house.

Anyone that is intent on fraud is going to try to circumvent any system. ASNT's ACCP or AWS QC1 can be corrupted by dishonest individuals. At some point the employer has to accept responsibility and vet those that don't perform up to par. That's where the employer's administered examinations play an important part in the qualification of NDT personnel.

The advantage of CP-189 is that it delineates the minimum requirements for qualification and certification by the employer. The requirements are no longer recommendations as is the case with SNT-TC-1A and it involves a Level III that has passed the ASNT administered examinations. The ASNT Level III and Level II are subject to a code of ethics that at least makes the Level II and III answerable to someone other than the employer.

CP-189 may not be perfect, but it goes a long ways in correcting the deficiencies of SNT-TC-1A.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By michael kniolek (***) Date 06-10-2009 00:23
Funny, i just read that it was not well accepted and not somthing expected to stick around very long.The book was published 7 or 8 years ago.
MDK
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / snt-tc-1a vs. cp189