Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Opinions
- - By EVWELDER (**) Date 06-09-2009 23:34
I am going to make some pipe stands out of 4" sch.80 pipe. They are pretty standard pipe stands in a triangle with the three members staggered. I plan to use GMAW to weld these will this be sufficient to weld or will I need to run Smaw on these.Thanks for the help.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-10-2009 00:37
Hello EVWELDER, providing that you don't use too small of a machine or run your voltages too low, you should be fine. I definitely wouldn't attempt it with any 110 wirefeed machine and if you're using a smaller 220 machine(175 or 180 amp range) be sure that you are running on the upper end of it's power capabilities. Without knowing a few more specifics such as gas type, wire diameter, machine size, it is a bit difficult to say for sure if you might run into problems. So if you think about it, maybe include a few more specifics. If you have any questions yourself, do a fillet break test on a T-weld using roughly the same material thicknesses as the pipe that you will be welding on at the settings that you plan on using. This should show you whether you are getting sufficient penetration and fusion when you make the welds. Have fun and best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Opinions